Rotating tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you rotate your spare into the mix, or just check it and leave it in its place?
I was gonna put mine in the rotation but it had a lot more life on it than the other ones. Plus it had wear marks from where it was nestled up against the frame that I wouldn't trust for too long. Also just a steel rim.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I leave mine alone, I do work the cable system & spray it with WD-40 every year. 03 truck, New England winters

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you rotate your spare into the mix, or just check it and leave it in its place?
I was gonna put mine in the rotation but it had a lot more life on it than the other ones. Plus it had wear marks from where it was nestled up against the frame that I wouldn't trust for too long. Also just a steel rim.

I wouldn't if it's a 4x4.Just for ***** and giggles take a tape measure and measure the outside diameter of the spare and one of the worn tires.You'll be surprised at the difference.This difference will make things bind up worse than you would think in 4wd.

OP
OP
B

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I could see the difference that's the main reason I didn't rotate it in.

relrobber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Every other tire change I have them recycle the spare & put the best one off the truck on the spare wheel. That way I'm still only buying 4 at a time, yet always have a spare that I trust.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I still have my original. Every so often I drop it and wash it off, clean underneath and make sure the cable is still good. then back up it goes. That sucker's heavy lol.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would not involve it in the mix, I will say I have never had the tires rotated though so I am no expert. One day I will keep a vehicle long enough to have the tires rotated though, I keep saying it but it has yet to happen. Cheers

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

I would suggest you do it. Tires age - although the spare is protected.

If you are going to keep the truck for a long time I'd suggest the following.

New truck - use 5 tire rotation. If one tire lasts 60K miles, you won't have to get new tires until you have about 72K miles on the truck.

Then you can determine if you will keep the truck for many more miles. I you are not going to keep the truck for much longer buy 4 tires and put the best one as the spare and don't add it to the rotation. Just do a 4 tire rotation.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a good point about replacing the spare with one of your used ones whenever you go in for new tires. My spare is the same age as the truck....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's a good point about replacing the spare with one of your used ones whenever you go in for new tires. My spare is the same age as the truck....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine too lol

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are we talking about the stock spare on a 4th gen?

The pos tire that looks like it came off an airplane?

If so..No, that should not be rotated in. Thats an "oh ****" tire that you put on long enough to fix/replace the flat. There is no reason/benefit in putting that spare in rotation.