RTV and Rear Differential Wait Time Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just changed the rear differential fluid on my Ram and the RTV package reads to wait 24 hours before adding fluid or continuing service. Do I really have to wait 24 hours after install before adding fluid and being able to drive? A mechanic friend of mine said he usually lets it cure 30 minutes and then is good to go. I just want to make sure I will be okay to do so.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I don't mean to "bump" this so quickly, but I have somewhere I need to be and could really use some help. Anyone know if I will be okay to add fluid and drive after just an hour of being installed?

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Since no one was able to answer this question I ended up going with my gut and buddy's advise and added the fluid. So far no leaks. I'll keep yall posted after I drive around over the next day.

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you should be ok. I've heard wait an hour then torque to spec then add fluid. Gonna do mine next free weekend. That's my plan.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I only waited between a half hour to an hour then added the fluid. That was plenty of time for the silicone to skin over (was a hot day in the summer) and never had a problem

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
24 hours is for total cure. I usually just make sure I don't have to be anywhere and give it a few hours to be sure. This has worked for the stamped steel cover that was on my original 9.25 and for the aluminum one on the Dana.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends on which RTV you use but typically 30 min and your ready to go.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It's been a week now since the job was done. No issues, no leaks, I'm happy haha. I'll be doing the front diff this weekend. Thank y'all for the info and advice.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
It's been a week now since the job was done. No issues, no leaks, I'm happy haha. I'll be doing the front diff this weekend. Thank y'all for the info and advice.

Careful with the front one. Because it's up front it dries slower due to it being colder. The rear diff gets all the heat from the truck blown back at it helping it cure faster.

OP
OP
VolsRam

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Careful with the front one. Because it's up front it dries slower due to it being colder. The rear diff gets all the heat from the truck blown back at it helping it cure faster.

That makes sense. But since it's the front I'm not worried about adding fluid immediately. I don't plan to put it into 4 wheel drive to need it within a few days of doing the change.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
That makes sense. But since it's the front I'm not worried about adding fluid immediately. I don't plan to put it into 4 wheel drive to need it within a few days of doing the change.

I was fkning with ya.
But don't drive without oil. Gears will still turn because the wheels are turning. Whether your in 4 wheel or not.