Is it smart to replace all fuses in the fuse box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BayAreaWebsiteDesigner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things I care a lot about. I just bought a used 2008 RAM 1500 HEMI 5.7 and I honestly want to take care of this vehicle and keep it for a long time.

So I thought of replacing all the light bulbs and fuses in the fuse box and other small things such as the air filter while I change the oil for the first time. Just so I know all is new and in working order.

Would it be smart to replace all fuses in the fuse box? Would this have a negative effect in any way? Would it reset anything I should fix afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it would negatively affect anything, just disconnect the battery first. aside from being an extra and possibly unnecessary expense, it would be nice to look through your box and make sure everything is clean and nothing is out of the ordinary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replacing the fuses won't do anything really. They aren't a wear item. They are either good or bad. The bulbs are similar. One may be dim which is an indication of it failing or they just simply stop working. I would worry more about the major serviceable items such as the fluids. Differentials both from and rear, transfer case and transmission and of course engine oil and coolant. The power steering fluid as well. Those are more important than the bulbs and fuses.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to always keep an eye on with the 06-09 is the headlight bulb fluid. They are prone to get pin holes and the fluid get's out and causes a big short in the electrical system.

But if you add chlorine to the fluid it stays clear longer :naughty:

OP
OP
BayAreaWebsiteDesigner

BayAreaWebsiteDesigner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I really appreciate your experienced feedback. I guess I could instead just clean everything, ensure all is working well and leave it as is if nothing is broken.

Thanks!

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I really appreciate your experienced feedback. I guess I could instead just clean everything, ensure all is working well and leave it as is if nothing is broken.

Thanks!

Yeah, sorry didn't mean to make jokes... Your fuses don't wear out so the most you could do is just make sure that they're all good. You could replace your head and fog light bulbs with the SilverStar ZXE's to get some extra light output.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Yeah, sorry didn't mean to make jokes... Your fuses don't wear out so the most you could do is just make sure that they're all good. You could replace your head and fog light bulbs with the SilverStar ZXE's to get some extra light output.
Agreed on the fuses. There is no "new" or "used"...there are only good fuses that work and bad ones that don't. Use over time doesn't make fuses more likely to blow; only too much current flowing through them does. And your truck won't have that unless there's something else wrong with it.

So, if you have a fuse blow, you know there might be a problem. If you don't, there no reason to replace any. Just have extras on hand of the various sizes (and only a couple of each are necessary).

OCD is a pain, but there's no basis for letting it drive you in this. Good fuses are good fuses, regardless of age.