Stuck Key Binding Key Dodge 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wndsrfr48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to get this posted to all that have a stuck or binding ignition key. There is a plethora of posts on line about striking the end of your key while it is in the ignition to free up the key and get the truck running. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 4.7 and this technique works! Saved me a ton of money enabling me to get the truck home. My next step is to find out WHY the key binds and will not turn, and fix it.

Searches

Dodge Ram Key will not turn
Dodge ram 1500 stuck key
Dodge 1500 Key will not work

Gaboy02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I have an 02 ram with the same problem. For me it was the springs inside the barrel that were either weak or sticking. Seem so happen more often in cold weather. I replaced that barrel and that has completely solved the problem. Very simple replacement and around me I can get the part for around $50

OP
OP
W

wndsrfr48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Gaboy, I live in Fl and this is the coldest week since last Feb. Go Figure! Ill replace the key barrell and go from there.

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
I keep a rubber mallet in my truck exactly for this reason...it's happened to me on a handful of occasions but knocking the end of the key frees it up in the cylinder.