swap a 2005 Hemi 5.7 durango to 2008 hemi 5.7 chrysler aspen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bennny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 chrysler aspen
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey everyone, i'm new here so please pardon me i'm still learning on how to navigate this site, my question is my mechanic took off a 2005 hemi 5.7 from a durango and is about to install it on 2008 chrysler aspen , the aspen has a 5.7 hemi, he says that the engine will not run if we don't use the aspen wire harness , so i decided to go to his shop and after checking this two motors they look a little bit different the 08 hemi has 4 solenoid i think from google they are displacement solenoid, and and the 05 has none just caps on the holes so we opted to pull them out and put them on the 05 hemi but since they are old one broke and we stopped, i contacted chrysler and each is about $110 and i need four, to my question , should i wait to but this 4 solenoid so i can use the aspen wire harness or can i leave everything as is on the 05 motor and will it run? i'm low in $$ so i'm trying to save as much as i can here, i'm thinking since the 05 motor is complete with harness and ecm should run but mech says the key will not recognize the comp, so it will be a risk i will be taking to do it that way please help

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You can drop the '05 engine into the '08 Aspen and use a tuner to disable the Multiple Displacement System (MDS) from the PCM. If you don't use a tuner to disable the MDS then the PCM will throw codes and the check engine light will stay on. Tuners are about $350 or cheaper if you can find a used one on ebay. If you want to keep the MDS for better MPGs then you can add the MDS lifters and solenoids to the '05 engine, this would require removing the heads. I don't know if the camshaft needs to be replaced when changing to the MDS lifters, I always thought they were the same but I may be wrong. Most people just buy the tuner and disable the MDS. Welcome to the Forum.

OP
OP
B

bennny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 chrysler aspen
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you very much RonJon , i really do appreciate , i will go the tuner way , removing of heads will cost me more and i'm running on a tight budget here, is there a tuner you would recommend i have never used any, i see they have tuner chips on ebay for like $60 would this work. thank you

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You're welcome. You'll need a tuner/programmer not a chip. I've got the Diablo Sport intune and really like it. It's come in handy reading and clearing codes and can load custom tunes.

OP
OP
B

bennny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 chrysler aspen
Engine
5.7 hemi
oh okay got it now, one more thing do i use the 08 aspen harness or the 05, mech has already taken off the intake on both motors, and i was thinking may be we can change the valve covers, what do you think. the ECM on both motors looks the same but the numbers are different ,

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
The only thing you'll want to use from the '05 is the engine and heads or "long block". Use all the electronics, intake, valve covers, coil packs and accessories from the '08. You could swap the water pump or just leave it. I'm pretty sure the oil pan and headers are the same. If you have more questions you can post 'em in the 3rd Gen Engine section, there are lots of knowledgeable guys over there willing to help. :waytogo:

OP
OP
B

bennny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 chrysler aspen
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you very much RonJon, i didn't know about the 3rd gen, if i have more questions i will surely post there, you saved me a tonnes of headache and money , again thank you very much