Tire Pressure Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What's everyone's suggestion on a tire pressure gauge? I've noticed my gauge reads about 3psi different than the on board in my wife's car.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i too would like to know this. i have 4 currently and each shows different so not sure which one to believe lol

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I posed the question to a tire shop, I had a digital one and it always read different than the on-board ones on fill stations. They gave me a mechanical one and told me to not believe the digital ones, nor the onboard ones. I use the mechanical one for everything now... it seems to be consistent.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep i never did good with digital. i've only ever bought one and it was off by like 15 psi

OP
OP
PX8

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yep i never did good with digital. i've only ever bought one and it was off by like 15 psi

Oh my god that's crazy. I've got one made by slime and it seems to read the same as the ones the guys use at discount tire, so maybe it's cool. The weather hear is changing nearly 30 degrees through out the day and man you talk about some differences in pressures from first thing in the morning till I leave work. I'm currently leaving the tires 2psi low in the morning, because that trip is usually just 5 miles in the morning. By the afternoon they are warmed up to what they should be and that's when I do most of my driving.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has wondered about this though.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh my god that's crazy. I've got one made by slime and it seems to read the same as the ones the guys use at discount tire, so maybe it's cool. The weather hear is changing nearly 30 degrees through out the day and man you talk about some differences in pressures from first thing in the morning till I leave work. I'm currently leaving the tires 2psi low in the morning, because that trip is usually just 5 miles in the morning. By the afternoon they are warmed up to what they should be and that's when I do most of my driving.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has wondered about this though.

yeah i've been watching my tires a lot lately, i have 1 i know is a little low but they constantly change with the weather and even 1 just having slightly more weight on it. i keep playing around trying to get them exactly the same just so the evic looks better but not gonna happen

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Even when my tires have the same psi (45 degrees out, no sun, filled to 40psi), my evic reads 1-3 psi off on 3/4 tires.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Truck always tells me 2-3 psi higher than both of my mechanical gauges. Had them all even for 15 minutes one morning @ 42 psi. 2 hrs into the day's run and all 4 showed different on the evic from 44 to 47. Checked with the mech at the next fuel stop and all read 55 bang on. Computers are the devil.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used one I assembled from parts laying around. It reads the exact same as the evic. All my tires read the same as the evic as well.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Air pressure gauge

Hi. I doubt that any "on board" reading can be exactly accurate. I went to NAPA and purchased a "Master Tire Pres. Gauge. (Used for calibration) Probably as accurate as you will get. Also, don't borrow it out. lol Any drop or bump "can" affect the reading. As for accuracy, probably our ability to inflate will effect pressures more than a gauge. Trick, tires should be filled to recommended pressure "COLD". That means, lowest or average temperature for the season or better, the month. What I do, will go out early am when temp is probably at it's lowest. Before morning sun warms the tire. Maybe after work will work also if evening sun not on vehicle. Check all the pressures. Jot down what each pres. is OR, how low, if any, the tire is. Say your right rear tire is supposed to be 80 and it is only 77. 3#'s off. When you get to the air station, regardless of what the pressure is reading there, say 81, add 3#'s to the tire. You should then be correct for the cold inflation pressure. No need to inflate a tire in the cold dark morning or evening. It can be done, even in your garage where it's comfortable. lol

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
In addition to tire gauge, pressure

Also, in regards to having a good gauge and proper inflation, If you have a tire that is considerably low, say 15 or 20#'s, inflate it to the proper pressure and then monitor it daily for a couple of days OR, take it to a shop and have it checked for a leak. One last thought. Many tires now are using nitrogen. Well, thought there were some distinct differences but recently watched a video in "Nitrogen filled tires" where a gentleman had 3 bottles filled with air, nitrogen, and some other inert gas. He had gauges on all bottles and from freezing, below zero, to about 120 deg. was hardly 1 # difference. After seeing that, I will not wait for inflation until I have nitrogen available. Air, my opinion, will not make a difference. Running on a substantially low tire will though.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used to have about 8 different tire gauges, analog and digital, in my garage. they all read different pressures with a difference range of 10 psi. I don't have a hoarding problem, I just need to keep correct pressures in my motorcycles. Considering the penalty for wrong tire pressure is a bit more significant on 2 wheels. One or two PSI difference is one thing but when the range get into 10-15 psi, you start wondering how much pressure you actually are running. Without a standard to calibrate your gauge against, its a guess. So I finally broke down and bought a motion pro analog gauge. crazy , 90 bucks.

Motion Pro Professional Tire Gauge - Motorcycle Superstore

I've checked it against my bike shop's mechanics gauge. seems spot on. this is the only gauge I have now.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should have just made one^^^

High quality liquid filled Guage, hose or brass tube, tire valve end. Under $10 in parts