Tire pressure guages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a dial tire pressure guage to replace the old pencil style one that I've had floating around in my tool box for years. With the cool mornings we've been having lately I decided this morning to check the dashboard readout to see what my tire pressures were. According to the TPS my tires were down to 33 psi which surprised me that I hadn't got a tire pressure warning since they're supposed to be 39 psi. So I used my new dial pressure guage to check them when I aired them up. According to my new guage I aired them up to 39 psi, but then when I checked TPS it said 44 psi. Dug out the old pencil style guage and it also said 44 psi. Now I know you shouldn't use the TPS system to inflate you're tires and they're not exactly accurate but should I believe my new dial guage or the old pencil style?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats a tough one, Last spring I threw away 3 gauges because after checking they were all off.
Bought a new one amd closely matches my tps

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the old pencil style stay accurate forever or is it just a crap shoot trying to get a guage that's accurate?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
TPMS needs to be driven to even out and read correctly

Pencil style gages can be off just from dust

I use a nice dial gage I got from summit racing (~50 bucks I think), and I set my tires by it....the TPMS will be close, but after driving ~ 20 miles or so, the TPMS reads within 1 psi of the gage

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thanks, I'll see what happen tomorrow. I didn't drive it after I aired the tires and I was kinda surprised that the TPS had picked it up at all.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah my problem with gauges was buying cheap ones and not bucking up and getting a good one to start with.
You know you get what you pay for....

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd definitely trust a good dial gauge over the TPMS sensors, they're known to be a bit off. Last year one of mine went freaking out saying I had a flat on the right front for no reason, checked the tires they were all at 44PSI on my dial gauge, after a day or 2 the TPMS cleared itself and was showing 42psi all the way around.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my problem with gauges was buying cheap ones and not bucking up and getting a good one to start with.
You know you get what you pay for....
Yeah, this is a cheap one. I liked it because it was small and could be kept in console. Maybe just need to get a good one and keep it under back seat.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been driving for almost 50 years and have owned pencil gauges for most of them. I probably did have an analog dial type at one point but the pencils were convenient and could be tossed in the glove box easily. Several years ago I was gifted a "multi tool" type of gauge that included a flashlight and a few other gizmos, but the TP readout was digital. Being "old school" I am always resistant to digital readouts but I've become enamored with this one. The numbers it reads agree with the TP readouts on the dash, but I also have to have blind faith that THAT is accurate, don't I?? True, in racing, TP is highly critical, but for my lifestyle as long as the TP "appears" correct I'll be fine. I tend toward higher than recommended numbers so I'm highly unlikely to be under inflating anything. If all the tires read a number that I find acceptable, I'm cool with that.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd definitely trust a good dial gauge over the TPMS sensors, they're known to be a bit off. Last year one of mine went freaking out saying I had a flat on the right front for no reason, checked the tires they were all at 44PSI on my dial gauge, after a day or 2 the TPMS cleared itself and was showing 42psi all the way around.
Drove truck today and apparently TPS finally figured out where it wants to be, all numbers between TPS and dial guage agree now.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this craftsman digital gauge from sears, it reads exactly what the TPMS reads at the same time. They always put them on sale round Christmas for 1/2 price

Sears.com

61tjZ5%2B--CL._SL1000_.jpg

SRR007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Want a good guage get a liquid filled dial guage. I use one like this.

Attachments

• main-shdw_large.jpg
    main-shdw_large.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 37

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
after having 3 different, albeit cheap, gauges off by more than 10 psi when comparing them, I bought a liquid filled Motion pro gauge. mainly for my motorcycles, especially for track days. it was worth the 90 bucks!

Attachments

• motion_pro_professional_tire_pressure_gauge_750x750.jpg
    motion_pro_professional_tire_pressure_gauge_750x750.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 33

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I find that the tpms is off initially till I drive a few miles, then they all read the same or close to the same. After work i notice the side of my truck that has the afternoon sun on it , that side tires are about 2 or 3 lbs higher than the shaded side and they stay that way till i get home.

An example of how heat increases air pressure.

I typically just use a kobalt (Lowe's) pistol type gage\inflater combo. It's usually a pound or so off of the tpms so i figure it must be fairly accurate. I think it was $20 at Lowe's. Not bad, but those liquid filled ones are sweet!

What type of liquid is in them? Can it freeze? My shop is not heated.

I have a nice large display digital pistol type infilater, but out in the shop the batteries keep dieing

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
not sure what specific liquid is in the tool. Not sure if freezing would be an issue. We only get down to about high 30's at the coldest. The batteries in the Motion pro seem to work for about a year. I've since "calibrated"" all of my cheaper gauges to the motion pro so I know approximately how off they are.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find that the tpms is off initially till I drive a few miles, then they all read the same or close to the same. After work i notice the side of my truck that has the afternoon sun on it , that side tires are about 2 or 3 lbs higher than the shaded side and they stay that way till i get home.

An example of how heat increases air pressure.

I typically just use a kobalt (Lowe's) pistol type gage\inflater combo. It's usually a pound or so off of the tpms so i figure it must be fairly accurate. I think it was $20 at Lowe's. Not bad, but those liquid filled ones are sweet!

What type of liquid is in them? Can it freeze? My shop is not heated.

I have a nice large display digital pistol type infilater, but out in the shop the batteries keep dieing
Make sure you buy lots of batteries. Those Sears gauges go thru batteries like **** thru a goose!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this craftsman digital gauge from sears, it reads exactly what the TPMS reads at the same time. They always put them on sale round Christmas for 1/2 price

Sears.com

61tjZ5%2B--CL._SL1000_.jpg
Buy alot of batteries, those Sears gauges go thru batteries like **** thru a goose!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you say that, had this exactly one year and just had to replace few days ago, they are CR2032. I use it all the time so I think a year was excellent.