Trying to figure out where LoJack is.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, this weekend I decided to look behind the B pillar covers on both sides and yet again, nothing. I sure wish I New where they installed this thing at.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You need to look for a box similar to this...
h106x093014-lojack-vehicle-recovery-transmitter-module-5500-1103-01-rev-v-us-9408a-vlu7spca-2.jpg
They put these things in an area where they're very hard to get to (for a reason), but I can almost bet it's in the dash somewhere. I would say start at the steering column, pull the plastic panel off and there will be a steel panel behind that, take it off as well and you'll be able to everything behind there. Idk if my truck has it as I have the Laramie trim level, but if I take the plastic housing off behind the steering wheel there is a black box that has ring that goes around the ignition that has to be plugged in for the truck to turn on. I found this out after pulling the dash and forgetting to plug it back in, I thought I was doomed for sure. Idk if that's the module, but I know a fact that it disables the vehicle if it's not plugged in to communicate with the key.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I'll definitely check out behind that steel cover behind the knee bolster and look again but, the last time I was behind there, I didn't see nothin that looked to be added after. I think I do remember seeing that box you spoke of up by the ignition switch but I just figured that was part of the factory alarm.

The only other feasible place that I can think of where they also may have put it is behind the flip-down cup holder on top of the tranny tunnel. Other than that, they wouldn't have stuck it under the hood somewhere, would they?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yeah, I'll definitely check out behind that steel cover behind the knee bolster and look again but, the last time I was behind there, I didn't see nothin that looked to be added after. I think I do remember seeing that box you spoke of up by the ignition switch but I just figured that was part of the factory alarm.

The only other feasible place that I can think of where they also may have put it is behind the flip-down cup holder on top of the tranny tunnel. Other than that, they wouldn't have stuck it under the hood somewhere, would they?

There's nothing there besides a steel plate and 2 bolts holding the dash down. I don't know if the box around the ignition is the ticket or not, I know that ring around the key is an antenna to communicate with the key. Are you just wanting to take it out completely? If that box around the key is it a jumper would fix the issue.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really wanna take the LoJack out, just find it and see if there's like a replaceable battery on it something.

Basically just want to see if I can diagnose anything on it before I begin to consider the serviceman fee. lol.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Everything that I'm able to find is saying the most common place is the column, one guy said that after years the Lo-Jack tech said the battery was 100%

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything that I'm able to find is saying the most common place is the column, one guy said that after years the Lo-Jack tech said the battery was 100%

I dunno, since the coverage area for these things is kinda limited to bigger cities and since there's probly better technology out there, I may just take it out if I'm ever lucky enough to find it. Might even be able to sell it but, I don't know how that'd work out. If you could even have it activated since they weren't the ones who installed it.

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
I know it's not what you want to hear at this point but maybe it's time to pay the $99. That or throw in the towel all together and go to plan B.

Or Plan C. All you really want to know is if it's working? Can you call LoJack and can they not run a test on it just like if you reported it stolen and see if it tracks the truck? That sounds like a very simple option.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's not what you want to hear at this point but maybe it's time to pay the $99. That or throw in the towel all together and go to plan B.
I still have to look behind the passenger side A-pillar cover and maybe look behind, further up under the steering column again before I go that route. There's really no other places they coulda stuck this thing being that it's a pickup and not a car unless it's under the hood somewhere which I doubt.

Or Plan C. All you really want to know is if it's working? Can you call LoJack and can they not run a test on it just like if you reported it stolen and see if it tracks the truck? That sounds like a very simple option.

You would think it would be and even probably should be but since they're all about that money they make from the service fee to send a guy out (kinda like how it's the ink that they make money on, not the printer), that they'd be pushing for that if there was any reason why you were calling to report any type of problem that would question your beliefs of it working or not. Besides, since these things only work in specific areas, you'd have to be in one of those areas for a test like that to work.

I appreciate your suggestion, tho. I'll have to remember that the next time I go down to the city where I'm pretty sure it'll be seen.

Last edited: