Typical lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlBluRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi. I have the typical lifter tick that wasn't heard until replacing the noisy idlers and alternator with squeaky bearings. Now I hear a slight tick on the driver side rear of the motor. I am familiar with the older MOPAR V8s having that but never an issue. With the newer Hemi can I use Rislone, I had never heard of it until a coworker mentioned it or would that help? In my precious vehicles I would run Lucas in them once the miles got up in numbers.... Thoughts???

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its a little late, but if you are mechanically inclined you can service the valve train and almost completely get rid of that noise. Given that its an 04 its probably time for valve lash adjustment. About a year ago I noticed that my truck sounded like a diesel after I put an exhaust on it, and I mean like a diesel. If you closed your eyes you would have thought you were under a duramax. I pulled the valve covers and took a peak at the rockers and was blown away. I've seen some **** when I was working on diesels, but I would have never believed that a gas engine could be that far out of spec and not kill itself. I could almost fit an 1/8in drill bit between the rocker and roller, no wonder it sounded like a diesel, that thing was hammering away for who know how long, i'd only owned it for about a year at that point.

After servicing the valve train (I had to pull the rockers on that side so I could lightly sand down the impact marks) you could barely hear the valves with your head right next to the covers.

Otherwise, you can either switch to thicker oil, or mix in thicker oil until it quiets down to where you like. Until it starts sounding like a diesel, vavle noise isnt much to worry about.