Undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I require some advice about undercoating on the undercarriage of a RAM 1500 truck, to prevent rusting.

I have a 2016 Dodge RAM 1500 crewcab and it is now 10 months old. I purchased it brand new off the dealer's lot last year. When I bought the vehicle from the dealer, I bought it with a very extensive protection package, including undercoating.

Since winter is now mostly over, I got curious and took a peak underneath my truck and what I saw there shocked me. I don't know very much about vehicles or how undercoating is applied, but to me it looks like there is no undercoating applied at all by the dealer whatsoever. Lots of components are rusting up already such as the axles and cardan. I have posted some pictures as attachment with this thread.

Now, the dealer is probably going to try to get away with it, but I need your opinion if this dealer screwed it up when I bought it. Again, to me it looks like there is no coating applied at all. All silver metal parts, even bolts and screws, nothing is covered in black tar. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 57

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
It looks like they did nothing. I don't see no type of undercoating under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like they did nothing. I don't see no type of undercoating under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir. That was the confirmation I needed.

OP
OP
S

Scry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer sent me the following response:

Those part of the undercarriage is not supposed to be sprayed with undercoating .we only undercoat frame and all the flat surface.
We do not undercoat Front and rear axle .as we all do on all trucks and cars..Having undercoating on those parts will interfere with the parts of suspensions and it also makes things harder if a mechanics works on those area and removed parts.

Does this make any sense?

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like they are being cheap. It does look like the floors have been sprayed though. If they think a spray will interfere with the workings of the suspension, I'd find a different dealer or get ahold of ram customer assist. No way that could happen unless their using epoxy cement.

OP
OP
S

Scry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like they are being cheap. It does look like the floors have been sprayed though. If they think a spray will interfere with the workings of the suspension, I'd find a different dealer or get ahold of ram customer assist. No way that could happen unless their using epoxy cement.

Thanks for your suggestion. I just sent an email to Ram Canada customer care.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
body and frame are standard to get undercoated the rest is up to you to do by hand BTW you will never rust though a drive shaft