Unknown Opening in Top of Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jalbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Update

So I threw an Edelbrock breather cap on the opening that was a very tight fit. My truck just shot a P0138 code: O2 Sensor High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like air/fuel ratio is lean. If it were me id start with checking that your oil cap, pcv and hoses are tight and the fittings havent slipped out and reset to see if comes back on.

OP
OP
J

jalbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Everything seems good, but the PCV valve grommet feels a little loose. I guess this is my main concern:

Why is that opening there if I already have a breather installed properly on the driver side that goes to air cleaner, and a PCV valve on the passenger side?

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Who wouldnt want an extra hole... but seriously it's because they are aftermarket valve covers

OP
OP
J

jalbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Awesome. The answer I was looking for. So, do I leave that breather cap on or do I like... put a second oil cap on?

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would stick with what you have. You could put a cap on but from your picture it would need to be a push in style as it wasn't cut out for a standard oil cap. Some come with a cut out for a cap in each cover and two rear push outs or just a rear punch out and no front hole at all, being aftermarket there are different variations depending on needs.

OP
OP
J

jalbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Well I greatly appreciate all your advice. I am much more at ease than I was earlier.

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not a problem aftermarket parts can make things confusing especially when your not the one that put them on. The person who added them probably did it for the looks your factory covers wouldn't of had the hole at all.

OP
OP
J

jalbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
I almost thought it was "manufactured" into the factory cover until I saw the aftermarket ones with the holes.