Welding Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I have a spare winch and was thinking about putting it on my 2006 1500 Megacab 4x4. I have a 120V, 110/90 amp wire feed welder and a new bottle of C25.

First Question is will that welder be big enough to fashion a bracket/mount for attaching the winch to the frame? I can also get a 220V stick welder.

Second I think the best plan would be to make something that will bolt onto the frame but if I do need to weld anything onto the frame is disconnecting the battery good enough or do I need to remove or disconnect the PCM or any other electronics?

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
I would look at a front hitch receiver. That way you can build a mount for your winch and use it in the front or the back. Also, you can use a front receiver for a small plow, a tow hook or even a trailer ball to easily position trailers.

If you do go that route, I'd use 2x2 .250 tube and 3/8" plate. You'll definitely want some 220v welding action on steel that thick.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
That might be the way to go, I do like the idea of it being versatile. If I did that I could use it on more than one vehicle as well. Thanks for the suggestion.:favorites13:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I like toofart's idea about making a mount to use in a reciver hitch. I second useing 220 power 110 isn't powerfull enoigh for the thickness of material you will need to build the mount. If you ever need to weld on your truck like exhausy I would just disconnect the battery never had any trouble with it and welded on many vehicles. I personally never recomend welding directly to the frame for a bumper or mount for a *****, they are to heavy and will take a lot of vibration causing bad fatigue, to make it safe you would have to build some serious gussets.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
^ So I should use something that will bolt into the frame. I would feel better doing that.

This is what I have right now:

IMG_20140930_210821188.jpg

If the wider tray would fit behind the bumper on my '06 I'm tempted to use it and have a hidden winch. Don't know where there's room for the battery though.

Otherwise I could scrounge up a front hitch and maybe put some handles on the smaller winch mount and make it portable. My '85 already has a front hitch.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Can you not run it off the truck battery? I'm not familiar with winches the few people I have seen use them on there trailers they just run leads up to the battery and leave the vehicle running.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I could wire it directly to the truck battery but I'm afraid I might drain it using the winch and then be SOL.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd be fine as long as the trucks running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another idea for plugs is welding twist lock leads. Like you see on some stick welders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD

dave1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.o v10
I made mine with 10" H beam, for the tray 5/8 plate for the roller flair head as mine was a older warn, and 3" channel iron went inside frame rails,H beam was 1,1/4" narrower then with of truck,used grade,10 bolts, bolted to frame and the welded also as double insurance, used 2, 1000, amp batterys uses number 2 welding leads for batt cables for truck and *****,it was rather permint but I don't sell my Dodges,H beam makes grate platform to stand on and work on tryck also used aircraft batt conecters for connection they crimp down on cable rather then just sandwitch like cheap battery end you find in auto stores,also coat ends with grease or liquid black tape grease is cheap and usually you all ready have some in shop,made mine own in dash control with montery toggle switch tyed to ford truck starter silanoids as mine was older cably operated had 150 foot 3/8 cable on drum, it also broke the cable once,old school ***** under rated at 8000 lbs but would drag the ramcharger with wheels locked like it was nothing,

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I made mine with 10" H beam, for the tray 5/8 plate for the roller flair head as mine was a older warn, and 3" channel iron went inside frame rails,H beam was 1,1/4" narrower then with of truck,used grade,10 bolts, bolted to frame and the welded also as double insurance, used 2, 1000, amp batterys uses number 2 welding leads for batt cables for truck and *****,it was rather permint but I don't sell my Dodges,H beam makes grate platform to stand on and work on tryck also used aircraft batt conecters for connection they crimp down on cable rather then just sandwitch like cheap battery end you find in auto stores,also coat ends with grease or liquid black tape grease is cheap and usually you all ready have some in shop,made mine own in dash control with montery toggle switch tyed to ford truck starter silanoids as mine was older cably operated had 150 foot 3/8 cable on drum, it also broke the cable once,old school ***** under rated at 8000 lbs but would drag the ramcharger with wheels locked like it was nothing,

Thanks man, this would be great if I decide to put it permanently on my '06. I still might go with the front receiver hitches just to have the option of using it on more than on vehicle. The only problem is that I can't find anyone that makes a front receiver hitch for our 2500 SUV so I'm back to fabricating something again.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
ArcWelder_zpsc455797d.jpg"]ArcWelder_zpsc455797d.jpg[/URL]

Hey guys,

I'm getting close to starting this winch project but I'm stuck on what I should do with this old Marquette 180 AC welder. I can't find the leads for it and nobody makes the right size plug anymore so I can't easily make my own. My choices are:

A) find the original leads which might take a while

B) MacGyver some leads with some smaller diam plugs and 3/8" copper tubing

C) forget about it and get a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC or the Hobart equivalent

Even if I get some working leads it only does AC and I keep reading that DC is better especially for a beginner. Any advice from the welding experts?

Thanks,
John

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
ArcWelder_zpsc455797d.jpg"]ArcWelder_zpsc455797d.jpg[/URL]

Hey guys,

I'm getting close to starting this winch project but I'm stuck on what I should do with this old Marquette 180 AC welder. I can't find the leads for it and nobody makes the right size plug anymore so I can't easily make my own. My choices are:

A) find the original leads which might take a while

B) MacGyver some leads with some smaller diam plugs and 3/8" copper tubing

C) forget about it and get a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC or the Hobart equivalent

Even if I get some working leads it only does AC and I keep reading that DC is better especially for a beginner. Any advice from the welding experts?

Thanks,
John

Sorry I don't have a lot of advice for you on this I haven't stick welded in years. The machine I have I beleieve is a ac only Lincoln and it works great. The only advice I can give you is to practice and pick your welding rod for your spesific needs. I did a quick search and there are a few pointers on millers web page about ac vs dc and dc reverse has a higher penetrateion over ac witch would be helpful for what you are Doing. You will need to do a quick search on withch series rod you will need if you forget to 6011 is a great general purpose rod. Your rod selection will play a big role in the success of this project.

OP
OP
RonJon '06

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Sorry I don't have a lot of advice for you on this I haven't stick welded in years. The machine I have I beleieve is a ac only Lincoln and it works great. The only advice I can give you is to practice and pick your welding rod for your spesific needs. I did a quick search and there are a few pointers on millers web page about ac vs dc and dc reverse has a higher penetrateion over ac witch would be helpful for what you are Doing. You will need to do a quick search on withch series rod you will need if you forget to 6011 is a great general purpose rod. Your rod selection will play a big role in the success of this project.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up piecing together some leads this weekend, they're not very long but they're heavy duty and should work for now. Also picked up some 6011 and scrap to practice with. Just need a helmet and a design and I should be good to go. :)

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thanks for the tips. I ended up piecing together some leads this weekend, they're not very long but they're heavy duty and should work for now. Also picked up some 6011 and scrap to practice with. Just need a helmet and a design and I should be good to go. :)

If you can keep your welding flat or horizontal ( just not vertical ) look into the 70 series rods 7014-7018 they are a good rod and make really pretty beads and have easy **** removal. I did a quick search on the 7014 because I love that series and a lot of people seem to use the 7018 (I don't have any experience with it) but they are both low hydrogen rods and have easy clean up and a very pretty bead. Another hint go slower than you think you should. A lot of new welder I always see move to fast. Let once you see a good puddle try to keep it the same thickness, just be patient with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963