Who uses 20v 1/2 inch on lugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
youtube dewalt 20v on lugs

I was thinking about adding one to my collection. What do you guys think about using this on these junky OEM lugs? It seams to handle this task very easy, but what is your opinions on doing this often as far as tool wear goes? I can't wrap my brain around a drill being this effective. I'd almost add an auger and dig a hole with this thing.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looks like they sell torque sockets if I cant dial the impact drill down to whatever I torque the lugs down too.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Agree with removal only. I always torque by hand. I don't care if they make special sockets. A loose wheel can ruin more than your day.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have to agree^^!

I'm all for making things faster/easier/mess free! (The old Work Smarter phrase).
I just like using a good old fashion Wheel Lug Wrench on all my wheels. I do have 3 up-too date nice ones.

I do need to really look into these Gorilla Lugs though.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i can see it working on something torqued to 90 ft lbs, but i question it taking a lug off that is torqued to 130 ft. lbs

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

I was thinking about adding one to my collection. What do you guys think about using this on these junky OEM lugs? It seams to handle this task very easy, but what is your opinions on doing this often as far as tool wear goes? I can't wrap my brain around a drill being this effective. I'd almost add an auger and dig a hole with this thing.

I have the 20V Dewalt set with that driver and it's not nearly strong enough to break lug nuts. I do use it to install nuts though since it's not strong enough to really torque anything down but does a decent job of running nuts onto the studs and has enough torque to get the wheel into place before I torque it down with the torque wrench. There are other electric impacts out there that can easily do the job, this isn't one of them.

Cleave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 20V Dewalt set with that driver and it's not nearly strong enough to break lug nuts. I do use it to install nuts though since it's not strong enough to really torque anything down but does a decent job of running nuts onto the studs and has enough torque to get the wheel into place before I torque it down with the torque wrench. There are other electric impacts out there that can easily do the job, this isn't one of them.

I'll second this. I have this impact also and it works well for small jobs and things where you don't need a ton of torque. I wouldn't use it on lugs or anything critical for safety. Probably be better off with the XR high torque model or a corded one.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have the 20v as well, but I don't have the 20v 1/2 inch impact.

Syn those Gorillas lug nuts are like unicorns, good luck finding a set.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone post a picture?

I worked at Black & Decker (Dewalt) on Market Street in Boston back in the day, and would love to see what they've got out there now.

Tyler Cooke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cobalt torque is reliable, no experience with removing lugs tho. My dad uses a dewalt impact on his wood working and seems to like it.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the 1/4" hex driver for a lot of stuff. Even lug nuts. But all I use it for is a nut runner. Torquing is done with a wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an electric Kobalt impact from Lowes, really works great, beats a Dewalt electric hands down.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Milwakee makes a 2 stage 1/2" impact low is 100ft/lbs so you can start them and finish up with a torque wrench and a ridiculous 700 tightening and 1100 ft/lbs removal torque in high. I'm looking at trading up. That's crazy for an 18V tool.

kukufixer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I have a Bosch HTH181 18v impact wrench. Has 500 ft/lb torque. Have not yet found a nut it can't bust loose.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I use a porter cable 20V 1/2” impact on all my pugs and keep it in my truck always. Ya never know when someone on the road might get a flat.
Please note I always maintain a fresh battery for it.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The dewalt in the video is a 1/4” impact! It’s not for working on lug nuts with!!! You gotta use a 1/2” with a good torque rating

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I use a porter cable 20V 1/2” impact on all my pugs and keep it in my truck always. Ya never know when someone on the road might get a flat.
Please note I always maintain a fresh battery for it.

I also have a flat repair kit and air compressor along those same lines. You don't even need to take the tire off to fix it. Also have some wire cutters to able to take whatever caused the flat to be able to pull it out.