Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Member's Area > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors

Anybody know generators?

This is a discussion on Anybody know generators? within the The Great Outdoors forums, part of the Member's Area category!
So I have been debating for months on what I want and what I can afford and such. Last weekend ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fastgti
  • 1 Post By Skrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Default Anybody know generators?
So I have been debating for months on what I want and what I can afford and such. Last weekend I bought a northstar 13000 ppg off of Craigslist. It is older than I thought, I thought it was 10 years old and it turned out to be 15 years old. But it is a commercial unit so that doesn't bother me. It runs good, I have a new set of plugs, new fuel filter, and oil change to do today, along with filling it full of new fuel. The problem I have with it is weight. I keep it in my spare garage and it has to be plugged in at the other side of my house, about 50 yards and you have to go up a hill to get there. The generator empty is about 400 pounds. Throw oil, 10 gallons of gas and such and you are around 475 pounds. On concrete it doesn't move too bad, but on any other surface it sucks. So I am thinking of buying a cheap trailer from harbor freight and permanently mounting the generator to it. That itself wouldn't be hard. However I would like to make it weatherproof as well so I can run it in the rain or snow and not have to worry about it. The other reason I would like to do it is to make it a little quieter to lessen the chance of people stealing it and keep it a little quieter in the house.
I have watched video after video on YouTube and read different forums on the subject, all of them build enclosures for the generator, but they are all stationary, none on a trailer. If I wanted to never take it on the road that would be fine. But if someone needs to borrow it I want to be able to take it somewhere, so the enclosure would need to be road worthy as well.
I know that I will need to figure out someway to vent heat, a way to change the oil, and a way to add gas to it.
I'm mainly looking for anybody who has any ideas on how to accomplish this. I have a few ideas but that is about it, I don't know what materials to use for the enclosure but I'm leaning towards thin plate steel.
Here is the generator and trailer I'm leaning towards.
Heavy Duty Utility Trailer - 870 Lb. Capacity
Thanks!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

OK, here is the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1424545116021.jpg  

Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.7. hemi
Well if it were me I would see if I could find a tarp and bow kit about the same size as the trailer. Weld brackets onto the trailer so you could slide the bows into it with them being in place you can strap your canvas to the frame. It canvas will help out a bit and will be able to run with it on and just open the back flap. That's how some of our generators are in the military.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
loveracing1988 likes this.
fastgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
This is how I would do it. Keep in mind that I tend to to things "right", IMO, and will usually spend a little more to make it right in my eyes.

Buy a couple sheets of 3/4" marine grade plywood. Use some for the deck and the rest for the enclosure. If the genset already has the wheel kit in it I would take it off and bolt it accordingly to the trailer deck, centered on the trailer. I would then take some pressure treated 2x4 and make a rectangle "ring" around the perimeter of the genset that is screwed to the trailer deck. Sorta like the base plate when you are stick-framing a house wall. The outside edge of the 2x4 base plate is the base support for your 3/4" plywood walls. I would use the rest of the 3/4" ply to make the enclosure; four sides and the top. This 5-sided rectangle box is your removable enclosure. Frame the box as you see fit.

It will be important to see how difficult it will be to use some copper pipe and fittings to extend the exhaust pipe to it can reach outside the enclosure by drilling a hole in an appropriate location on the box.

The generator is also air cooled so you need to have some ventilation slots. Figure out which way the genset "fan" blows air over the engine and make the vent slots on opposite ends of the box cover. Honestly, I would rig up a fan of some sort that plugs into the genset and pulls air througho the box/cover. There are hundreds of cheap and small box fans that would do the trick.

Then to deaden the sound of the generator. I would get several sheets of 1" ridged foam insulation from Home Depot and line the entire inside of the box.

When operational, the cover uses one or two 1/4" screws/lags into the edge of the 2x4 rectangle piece I mentioned earlier.

If you wanted to get real fancy you lay Finerglass mat and resin over the entire outside of the cover. Sand between coats and paint. You have a water proof cover. One thing you can do is either put two handles on the cover to help lift off or better yet, install hinges on one side like some boat engine covers.

I know this may be confusing but is clear as day in my mind. Hope this helps. Post pics when you are done.
loveracing1988 likes this.
Skrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by fastgti View Post
Well if it were me I would see if I could find a tarp and bow kit about the same size as the trailer. Weld brackets onto the trailer so you could slide the bows into it with them being in place you can strap your canvas to the frame. It canvas will help out a bit and will be able to run with it on and just open the back flap. That's how some of our generators are in the military.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was one of my considerations. I would consider it even more if the generator was encased like the military generator in your picture. One of the reasons I want it enclosed is so I can tow it and not worry about rain or snow getting all over it. If I put a tarp on it I will have to figure something else out when I would tow it.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not really of you use a tarp and now set up. This is how we tow ours. It's with a tarp and bow set up. Kind of like skrap said make a deck/floor to mount the gen too and make a side with the brackets for the bows/poles lay your tarp/canvas over the top and tie it down.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Forgot the picture. https://www.google.com/search?q=30k+...68%3B800%3B600