Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Member's Area > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors

Eastern U.S. sand dunes

This is a discussion on Eastern U.S. sand dunes within the The Great Outdoors forums, part of the Member's Area category!
Ok, I live in East Tennessee. I dont really like taking the truck in tight trails like we have around ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Eastern U.S. sand dunes
Ok, I live in East Tennessee. I dont really like taking the truck in tight trails like we have around here for the simple fact of I like having decent looking paint on it. I had a run in with some sand in the past, and absolutely LOVED it. But my question is: where are sand dunes close to East TN? I have watched videos on YouTube, and I see how awesomely people can just let loose in the desert. So is there a desert-y like area ( beach or similar) within driving range around east TN??

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Rob

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Only places I've been to with dunes would be Delaware and the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Better off heading to desert than beach. Beaches are usually full of 4wd restrictions and permit requirements.
NYCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Scott

Send a message via MSN to Ramunit
Take a long weekend and drive up to Silver Lake, Mi. 3000 acres of dunes on lake Michigan, camping etc. You'll have the time of year life. Make sure you wait til summer though.

2005 QC HEMI * 2wd * Bright Silver * AEM Brute Force Intake * Powerwire * Jetstream Scoop * Stant 14168 180* t-stat * Superchip Flashpaq 3865 with Trans Tune * BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers * Magnaflow Y Pipe * Magnaflow Catback * Motive 4.56 Gears LSD * Rough Country 6" lift * Moto Metal 951 20x10 * Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20 * Alpine Audio [/CENTER]
Ramunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Tim

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.7
Originally Posted by Ramunit View Post
Take a long weekend and drive up to Silver Lake, Mi. 3000 acres of dunes on lake Michigan, camping etc. You'll have the time of year life. Make sure you wait til summer though.
This. I've never been there, but a friend told be all about it. Apparently it's the Glamis of the midwest. haha

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bump

Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013 Power Wagon
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
The "Grass is always Greener" somewhere else. I wish I had some Green to look at every now and again.

Plenty of sand out here - and I love it! Perfect for fullsized rigs.

Air down and the whole place will be a roller coaster park for you. Just keep speeds reasonable, be cautious of other traffic and learn to read the terrain to avoid sharp pits, drop offs and ridges on which you can get high centered. These things are easily hidden in the vast monotone spaces, where it makes it difficult to tell speed, distance and depth without land marks or shadows to give perspective.

Other than that, good luck! Wander out here! The Coral Pink Dunes are about 45 min away, or we can 'wheel right out of the driveway!

"Original Power Wagon" - Former U.S. Dept. Reclamation rig used to build Glen Cyn. Dam
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 35's with all the goodies to help it keep up with the Power Wagon.
Brakelate is offline   Reply With Quote