Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Member's Area > The Great Outdoors

The Great Outdoors

help with an AR

This is a discussion on help with an AR within the The Great Outdoors forums, part of the Member's Area category!
yep......25 years old, enlisted for 7 years, and live in the state were they practically had out guns in the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Anthony

Ram Year: 2012 hemi express
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default help with an AR
yep......25 years old, enlisted for 7 years, and live in the state were they practically had out guns in the grocery store and i dont have an AR. I shoot the standard issue for work, and everyone i work with owns/builds there own. All of my guns i own i hunt with so this will be a target (maybe varmint) gun. all i need it to do is go bang when i pull the trigger. I can barley break one apart let alone build one from scratch. Id like to spend no more than 7-800 for one out the door ready to shoot minus the optic. my options up here are windham,bushmaster, dpms, and S&W. I can get all of these at my exchange so there all about the same price. i did some research and know the whole windham, bushmaster thing. i also heard the new bushmasters are not as good as before the company sold out. really its between the other 3.

ive heard everything from "get this kind of barrel, or youl burn it out" ive never heard of anything like that before. im not shooting thousands of rounds a week, just occasional plinking. i cant find bulk 22s here but i can get 1000 5.56 at wally world for $350 so i know i need it in 5.56 so i can shoot bolth that and 223

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 4.7
My palmetto state armory AR is great and cheap right now you can get uppers for $400 pretty easily total if you assemble the lower will be $600. Mattman should chime in he's great for help he taught me a ton about ARs
argray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Tim

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.7
Any off those are fine weapons. A friend got a Windham last year and it's a good gun. I build em personally any more. You're already onboard with a 5.56, so you're good to go there. My only other recommendation is to look for a 1:7 twist barrel. It's a faster barrel so if you're hunting with heavier 70+ gr rounds they'll stabilize in flight.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Of the 4 you listed I'd go DPMS. I am running Armalite and Palmetto State Armory. I think I also have a Spike's lower somewhere...

All of my "builds" (in "" because I don't assemble uppers yet) are frankenstien builds. I find good components on sale and assemble accordingly. I've never bought a complete rifle and probably never will.

You should really determine what you want, then go to AR15.com and read. Then you can completely rethink what you want and build from there. Or you can do like everyone else, build the first, then the second, then the third...
chedched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Engine: hemi 5.7
Not heard a lot of complaints on those. But I'm also seeing some colt 6920s for 900 right now. I'm not a dpms fan but a few coworkers have then and don't complain.
I love my armalite m4 which can be bought for 720.00 only downfall is its 1-9 twist. I think an all around gun should be 1-7.
Now is the time to buy. The market is flooded. Primary arms.com also has a complete spikes guns for 800.00 and I love my spikes stuff. 1/7 twist mil spec everything.
If its not to resale buy an assembled lower, assembled upper, and push your two pins and go. Gonna get the most bang for buck building it. But frankenguns seem to lose a little value when reselling.

Last edited by mattman_13; 12-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.
mattman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

How much of a diff does the 1-7 vs 1-9 make

Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Engine: hemi 5.7
It just determines the weight of bullets the barrel will stabilize. 1-9 is good for like 55 grain ammo but if you want it for hunting and want to toss a heavier bullet the 1-7 would be better. Honestly my 1/7 twist 11.5" barrel is an absolute tack driver. Even with 55 grain. So Ithink for an all around gun the 1-7 is just more versatile.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
^^^ Correct. 1:7 can handle the widest variety of ammo. About 100% of 1:7 barrels are going to be chrome lined which is also going to add to cost. S&W has a proprietary lining for some of their barrels. If you choose to go with a commercial AR them S&W is probably going to be your best value. Have fun.

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.
******** ---George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (January 8, 1790)
h2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well first off it's been way to long since I posted, Second of all. Some closure to the looking for an ar/9mm. Lmao. I bought a glock. 22c. Best $550 I ever spent. Glad I went for a .40 vs a 9. And I was really excited to know I own the last compensated glock on the island. And from what I hear they don't even make the compensate models any more.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Tim

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.7
Well, congrats on the purchase. You are correct, Glock stopped making the compensated guns. If you get tired of the blow back you can throw another non compensated barrel in the gun with no problem.