Stock....vs drop in HIDs....vs Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
One of my fellow retrofitters on another forum popped this pics up, and its a GREAT way to show the time old question on lighting output and width, etc.

These were taken on a Raptor, but....H13 bulb, and same basic bowl design for the drop in kit.

- 1st pic in each series is stock lights 100% OEM

- 2nd pic is HID's in stock lights

- 3rd pic is HID's with projectors (35W kit in a Morimoto Mini H1 projector)

1st set - lows from behind - you can use the ski jumps in the back left as a reference to how wide each one is.

oem1.jpg

pnp1.jpg

mh11.jpg

2nd set - lows from side

oem2.jpg

pnp2.jpg

mh12.jpg

3rd set - High beam

oem3.jpg

pnp3.jpg

mh13.jpg

4th set - front

oem4.jpg

pnp4.jpg

mh14.jpg

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wanting to see one of these for awhile. Man, those projectors really focus all the light where you need it!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These pictures appear to be bogus, look at the light level of the sky.
Comparison shots need to be taken with locked camera settings for a real comparison.

You still can't argue with the width of the projector pattern *mullet*

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like the width and clean break of the projectors but I'm not sure I care for the distance on it. They are probably awesome in the city and on the interstates here in Jersey. They cut off abruptly and when trucking along back country roads of NY and VT and with deer/moose everywhere I like as much distance to go with with the width as I can, even if it is just to reflect off of the eyes. Of course I have my Hella's with 100W bulbs rigged to go on independently and with the highs because even the stockers aren't enough for me.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
Good picture thanks for this JJ, i will be showing it to several people i know.

OP
OP

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
These pictures appear to be bogus, look at the light level of the sky.
Comparison shots need to be taken with locked camera settings for a real comparison.

You still can't argue with the width of the projector pattern *mullet*

bogus? ok.......its not a professional photographer out there doing it. He had to swap lights in this process, sure things might be a bit different as it gets later in the evening, etc.

Overall though, it gives a good view, so I posted it. :birgits_tiredcoffee

I like the width and clean break of the projectors but I'm not sure I care for the distance on it. They are probably awesome in the city and on the interstates here in Jersey. They cut off abruptly and when trucking along back country roads of NY and VT and with deer/moose everywhere I like as much distance to go with with the width as I can, even if it is just to reflect off of the eyes. Of course I have my Hella's with 100W bulbs rigged to go on independently and with the highs because even the stockers aren't enough for me.

I would want to see another shot where its not into a field. With the cutoff, it hits right at the tops of the field there, and.....well, diminishes the look of how far they really throw the light.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A similar set of shots against a solid wall would prob be the best... still a god look though.

JJ, I would be glad to do it if I had a set of projectors... lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
bogus? ok.......its not a professional photographer out there doing it. He had to swap lights in this process, sure things might be a bit different as it gets later in the evening, etc.

Overall though, it gives a good view, so I posted it. :birgits_tiredcoffee

It gives a good idea of the light pattern, but with different ISO / Shutter settings, you can't get an accurate portrayal of brightness, that's all I'm saying.

ljvsnyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Jeremy that is something i've been looking for to compare.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I think its a great comparison, sure outside light may vary, but distance, and cut off the projectors do, don't change.
A+, good post!

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
That's a great comparison. I knew projectors were good, but they are GOOD.

Are you on a ford raptor forum? LOL

OP
OP

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'm not on the Raptor forum, as of today. He posted these up on another forum I'm on. :D

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nice comparison, but nothing will make you say holy **** better then the first time putting on the high beams in your own truck at night...LOL

airjb11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
glad to see someone posted this... def makes me want to have projectors in mine... maybe down the road.. thanks JJ

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
JJ - Question: For highbeams, on a lot of vehicles, I've noticed that they put an HID light in a reflector style bowl... Is this better than a projector, does it give a wider, deeper view of light, knowing of course that there's not the restrictive cutoff that makes the projector work so well for low-beams? Are the reflectors in this case the same as halogen, or is there a difference?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr