‘06 Hemi cuts out/stumbles at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No trouble codes. Occasionally cuts out usually at highway speed. Replaced spark plugs, throttle body, fuel cap, grounded the throttle body, checked all fuses, battery connections, even changed the transmission fluid and filter checked for debris. Replaced a week fuel pump. Still cuts out.
150k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any known problems out there? 06 hemi Ram 1500 4x2.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Define "cuts out". Does the entire truck go dead? or does the engine just die? Sounds like an electrical issue if you can show that you've got air/spark/fuel.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I trimmed the video to 4 seconds and it still will not upload. However watching the video takes the sense of feel away. Just watching and listening makes me think it’s possible not engine related. Not sure what would cause that jarring of the vehicle sudden stop or slowing sensation. I just bought the truck. No rust, engine purrs. I better rip apart the brakes wheel bearings etc. I had to install/replace the differential with a low mileage one. It seemed all good inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I tried to upload a video. Seems instantaneous stopping of the engine when driving it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
To upload a video on here you gotta post it on YouTube then add the link to the video here. It sucks but that’s the only way I know of

Are you using the cruise control when this happens? My cruise control is alittle buggy, it will randomly cut out on me

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks I have never posted on YouTube before. Ill figure that out.
It does it either with or without cruise control. Either on level road or on an incline.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Checking the front and my passenger side wheel bearing is grinding. I suppose it could be jarring the drivetrain when warmed up possibly? Doubt it but maybe. Either way it needs replaced. Will update with findings. Probably better jack up the new low mileage rear end and recheck it now that it has some miles on it.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Cutting out noise hard to hear on video. Have to turn it up. Note the jarring of the video. The prndl and mileage fluctuations are a video illusion

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Replaced the front wheel bearing and the buzzing in the front end went away. Not sure it is going to fix the seemingly cutting out at highway speeds usually about an hour into driving which causes quite a shock to the drive train. Will update after next trip to town.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hopefully it was a bad abs sensor or something. I didn’t notice your tachometer dropped in the video, is the engine actually dropping rpms?

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s very quick. The truck slows down. Not sure the engine actually is slowing down. Kind of feels like a tps going bad but even quicker jolt. Looking at the video was revealing to me too. I’m thinking maybe possibly not engine related.
It does only have Rear wheel anti-locks. Is it possible for bad wire or sensor to do this? I did have to splice in a new end on the harness for the rear, but I even soldered it.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I could read the speed too well but looked around 65-70? I was thinking MDS kicking in but you did say it happens uphill as well. Mine will actually kick on around 75-80 on the freeway for short little spurts. I actually installed an mds light from the diy on here or another site. Super easy and really nice to know exactly when MDS is kicking in. Mine was just a little LED light from oriellys. First is when it's not activated, second is when MDS mode is active. 20180131_141146.jpg 20180131_141143.jpg

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Usually around 65-70 mph.

Wife drove the truck on the highway today and it did it again. She said it was not as bad though.

MDS is interesting. Can they cause that bad of a clunk? It’s a 2 wheel drive with a good differential and U joints feel tight.

Still never an engine trouble code. Before it was really bad clunking/ cut out. Tune up could possibly have helped. I’ll drive it again this weekend and update how bad the clunk still is. Used to feel like you ran over a 5 gallon bucket of water at 65 MPH.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe EGR overheating things? Causing a vapor lock.? Seems unlikely. Just a thought

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About the mds, does tow haul disable it? If so I could rule that out by driving in tow haul for a week. If MDS is the cause I’ll just let it clunk.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
About the mds, does tow haul disable it? If so I could rule that out by driving in tow haul for a week. If MDS is the cause I’ll just let it clunk.

Yes it does disable it. Before I put in the light I could have sworn I still felt it kicking in but I think I was feeling the lock up torque converter. That is also something that could be happening. When it happens, how long did you say it lasts? What year is your truck? Also, make sure you're running the type of oil it specifies. For MDS motors it's 5w20. The MDS uses the oil in is deactivation process.

I'm no expert at this stuff. I've done stuff here and there, until I bought my ram (Which I love) and read about some of the issues that have caused catostropic engine failure. Since then I've been doing alot of preventative maintenance on it. I have never really taken too good of care of my vehicles, mostly because they were junk when I bought them. I played for that this last summer. My wife's timing belt went and slammed the valves into the pistons. One of the many reasons I love this forum are the Fellow dodge owners who go out of their way to help a fellow (complete stranger) owner out with tips, troubleshooting ideas etc.

As a matter of fact, after I post this reply, I'm seeking some help/answers about a motor I'm probably buying this weekend. Anyways, not sure if you've heard of torque pro but it's a 6 dollar app that uses a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapter that plugs into you obd2 diagnostic port. You can check trouble codes, clear them and see live data like 02 sensor volts, vacuum pressure, calculated hp and torque, etc. Best of luck and keep us updated!