‘06 Hemi cuts out/stumbles at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
decided to throw sensors at it. Since no help from dealership and no data yet. Map, IAT, and both upstream 02 sensors. Took 40 miles after the O2 sensors then started back up. Day before it cut out 50 Times Probably. This time it was less harsh though, maybe now it’s the mds. I’ll see next time I drive it if it carries on like yesterday. I’ll try the od off again if it starts again.

Anyhow no more input probably means y’all are probably out of suggestions.

Going to borrow a data recorder since Dodge wasn’t equipped to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Noticed the new battery it came with is a low end one. Swapped out the battery with a big honking NAPA battery. I have seen claims that week or cheap batteries have caused this cutting out too. Seems like a pipe dream to me but I had it to switch out, what the heck. Still haven’t had a chance to drive it a distance since last update.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Going to borrow a data recorder since Dodge wasn’t equipped to do it.
Yeah man, with those issues and everything you did to it, your definitely going to need a good scanner to figure it out. And I can’t believe the dealership you took your truck to didn’t have a decent diagnostic tool? Wtf!

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think they had one but didn’t have someone able to use it for anything other than reading fault codes. Yeah, really disappointing.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have some scan tools now. However I think replacing the O2 sensors may have fixed it. I will update.

I'd quit throwing parts at it, until you find a good shop with the right tools. you should know that being, 117 years old! LOL

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Cut out once today with the scan tool hooked up. It was not during MDS switching. Couldn’t get it to do it again. Sometimes it has done it a whole bunch and other times not so much. New 02 sensors looked good. Slight exhaust leak on bank 2 but nothing out of range on o2 output

A0D08204-7D4D-40FE-A65E-B5262F0FB591.jpeg

92B13886-24FF-41AF-96C0-2726B20DBED3.jpeg

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Haven’t had a chance to put miles on it since. But came across a low mileage PCM off another 06 Ram 1500 hemi 2x4 for cheap. Probably throw that on there and see if it runs and or hopefully runs better. Could be a bad spark module inside the PCM heating up. Doubt the PCM would tell on itself.

Anyone know how to program my keys to work with it?

Last edited:

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Look into your TIPM "Total Integrated Power Module" Those things do crazy stuff when going bad. In my case, About 8 months ago my truck shut off on me, fuel related, still had power, wouldn't start. Got it towed to my mechanic and he could not duplicate the issue. fired right up.! I made him keep it for almost two weeks before I picked it up. Never showed it's ugly face again. And yes, that's even after I had the fuel pumped replaced 6 months prior to that.

Anyhow, if you got that route, make sure to match the letters to the one you have now, for example.
4692118AL OR AH.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look into your TIPM "Total Integrated Power Module" Those things do crazy stuff when going bad. In my case, About 8 months ago my truck shut off on me, fuel related, still had power, wouldn't start. Got it towed to my mechanic and he could not duplicate the issue. fired right up.! I made him keep it for almost two weeks before I picked it up. Never showed it's ugly face again. And yes, that's even after I had the fuel pumped replaced 6 months prior to that.

Anyhow, if you got that route, make sure to match the letters to the one you have now, for example.
4692118AL OR AH.

Is the TIPM just an extremely complicated wire connection hub for the fuse block? I could definitely see that causing crazy problems. Or is it a solid state device like a simple computer too?

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It is your fuse box, everything plugs into it.! Located at the driver side next to your battery. It controls everything power related to your truck! Radio, lights, dash, windows, ABS and fuel pump. Anything power runs straight through that box and they are common to go bad in our model rams. There is a bunch of info about them on the web, Chrysler at one point was actually in lawsuit over it. also, The fuel pump relay is hardwired in.! So if that goes bad you have to change out the entire TIPM just for that. The dealership will charge around $1200-1400 bucks to install and program, the job is about 10mins. Try to find one used that matches your 2 letters. (AL) (AH) for example. I purchased one off Ebay.

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine physically looks pretty good.

It is your fuse box, everything plugs into it.! Located at the driver side next to your battery. It controls everything power related to your truck! Radio, lights, dash, windows, ABS and fuel pump. Anything power runs straight through that box and they are common to go bad in our model rams. There is a bunch of info about them on the web, Chrysler at one point was actually in lawsuit over it. also, The fuel pump relay is hardwired in.! So if that goes bad you have to change out the entire TIPM just for that. The dealership will charge around $1200-1400 bucks to install and program, the job is about 10mins. Try to find one used that matches your 2 letters. (AL) (AH) for example. I purchased one off Ebay.

Mine looks pretty good and I pulled every fuse to check for Corrosion. I saw a bunch of issues with fuel pump relay and headlights on my search. Also 4x4 issues. I see someone showed using an exterior relay to fix the headlights. I suspect the same could be done with the fuel pump relay. Interesting. Wonder what other land mines are potentially involved?

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Check out this fairly easy repair. I have got to replace this relay and or hook back up my fuel pressure gauge and see if I’m still getting intermittent fuel pressure drop even after replacing the fuel pump. Problem is that it’s intermittent. Just did it again 200 miles later for my wife this morning. Probably easier to just replace the relay. Cool video.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sweet! I would just get a used one and drive the truck to see if it fixes it. The last thing we want to happen is jack something else up by messing with a computer control board. Good luck bud!

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

4692118AL OR AH.

Well I think we have a winner. I took apart my TIPM Totally Intigrated Powertrain (Madness)/Module looking for a fuel pump and other relays that ended up completely solid state by 2006 but found dirt in it. Red Oklahoma dirt and Corrosion in the bottom or passenger side end of the circuit board. If there is Corrosion there is electrolyte (or an ionized atmosphere), a cathode, an anode and current flow; bad outside of the designed solid state pathway. Anyhow I cleaned off the circuit board rubbed off the Corrosion product reassembled cleaning every fuse and have NOT had a problem since. I hope this continues

AE868D11-1190-4B7C-96C9-F07C4BF82518.jpeg

460A5CA7-E641-4FC4-82A7-2530764B27EC.jpeg

OP
OP
john p f

john p f

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Closer look at the dirty TIPM

I hate to say it but probably cleaning the internal circuit board of your TIPM should be scheduled maintenance.

Sorry I didn’t get a photo of the dirt it was setting in.

379FE06B-1772-43A6-AAC0-C18EC0617C4A.png

FBCB59FE-612C-455B-9295-6135F53C224E.png

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hopefully that is the issue. By the condition of it I would say so. Did you go with used or new?