01 2500 shaking and bouncing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
This is my first post to this forum so I will do my best. I have a 01 2500 8.0 quad cab, short bed. 2.5 inch leveling kit with 33 inch BF's, Monroe shocks, dual stabilizers. I've had this issue for 3 years and nobody can figure it out.
When I drive on the highway my truck shakes, feels like its bouncing. It's not death wobble but a constant shake at highway speeds and hardly at low speeds. I feel it in the steering wheel,floor, and seat.
I've replaced all 4 shocks twice, upper/lower ball joints on both sides. Track bar and bushing, new tie rod and ends,added dual stabilizers. Both u joints are tight with no play or binding. Wheel bearings are also tight. New power steering pump.New u joints on drive shafts and shafts are balanced.I have changed tires twice and always road forced balanced. Even ran my tires on buddies truck and no bouncing. Feels like its on drivers side but everything checks out.

Now when I brake it's shaking even worse. Changed rotors and pads thinking warped rotor and no improvement.
Thinking now stripped axel but not sure. Looking for advise before I tear it apart for the 100th time over the past three years. Thanks

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was going to suggest tires until I read you have already checked that. lol

The only other thing I can think of would be drums for some reason.

Remember: you're working on a Dodge, anything is possible.

welcome to RF and I hope you figure your problem out.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Thanks for the welcome. No drums on mine. 4 wheel disk. It's a mystery of the ages

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only thing I can think of else that would cause a bounce MIGHT be the rear drive shaft.

But I would say that is a long shot.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Thought that too once. Took it out, put new u joints in and had it balanced. Nothing changed. Every indication feels like the front drivers side. I do hear some clanks from the front but it's my hood, the bouncing makes it move around since the latch has some play.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Have you checked the motor mounts, trany mount? Comp test on the motor? So 2500 have you checked the rear wheel bearings? I would think so but have to ask dumb Q's to help.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
I've check and had other people check the rear. Haven't found anything. Everyone seems to think it's the front but can't find anything.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
As for the motor and tranny mounts. I replaced the engine and tranny and had the same issue.

heavymetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2, Cam, Headers
Has the truck ever been in any kind of a wreck, any reason for it to have a bent axle? There a hanger bearing on the truck? control arm bushings? steering shaft? maybe its a tcase issue? take the front shaft off, take it for a spin, might be the front output bearing, could be the rear one? ?? lol

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have the same problem mine 98 other than that its the same truck i dont have the extra money to change out parts from what i research its either tune up or torq convertor im gonna buy the brass tune up from rock auto after christmas then if that dosent do it time to start gathering parts for 5 speed mine feel like a u jount i replace all of the except in the front axle

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
All my suspension bushing are shot that would only cuase a pull and hard keeping it straight i had the same problem with lifted gmc changed every thing except torq convertor got sick of and sold it

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Is that the problem? I never drove a v10 any one like them i should have bought one my truck only get 13mpg any ways

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
I had the 360 and liked it but have to say the v10 is much better. My old man has the v8 and I get better mileage than him. As for the TC I replaced it two years ago and the issue stayed the same. I was in a minor accident last winter. Hit on passenger side. Nothing changed. I do have a knocking sound now when I hit bumps and on smaller ones it's a creak to a crack. Thought it was hood or fender but everything is tight. I actually feel the bouncing more on freshly paved or smooth roads. You would think its tire balance but 3 sets or tires all road forced balanced with multiple alignments and still no change. I did notice the other night that it's more amplified taking a right turn same with the knocking.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Dose it get worst if you accellerate

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The gmc i had got worst if you gas it my dodge buffs out thats im trying spark plug wires my friend would get axle rap at 55 we installed links going from axle to the frame to keep the frame probally could stuck new leaf springs on it buts he was cheap. You could put a bunch of weight in it to tell if thats the problem. That gmc drove me insane every time i tried some thing it didnt work then guages quit working door linkage kept braking that truck had to go

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Doesnt change on excelleration. It's almost harmonic or constant.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This was before the lift kits were installed.

I could sit here and type out a huge post on this, as I had what reads to be the same vibe. Guess what so did lot's of other 2nd gen owners, some where never fixed, dealers or shops never did find the problem or the cure. If I was to include the labor cost to try and find this problem on my truck it would be well over 10k and my parts list is huge, from motors to gears to well all of it was replaced at least once all in the pursuit of this vibe. There were times when I was on the brakes I thought I was going to rip the xcase or the tranny out of it.

Out of pure frustration one day I loosened off all the control arms nuts and bolts, let the cam bolts and washers be free, moved it (the truck) a couple of hundred feet, got under the truck tightened all the bolts back up and 99% of the vibe was gone. In short my truck does not like factory settings for alignment, why we don't know, it's been on a frame machine and all was in spec, never been hit anywhere.

One other small thing I did find was an out of round rear DS, it was not the whole problem but just one more thing to add to the list.

Start playing with the cam bolt on the pass side, start moving it one way if it gets better keep moving it that way if it get worse go the other way. When doing this loosen off all the other bolts except the other cam bolt.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
I like your ideas. Going to try it this weekend. And it did it before and after the lift to answer that question.