01 2500 shaking and bouncing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I wish you the best of luck and hope it helps you with your problem. I also hope you don't have to pay a mech to help you hunt this down, not many no it but I had my truck in the shop a few times and no one could find the problem. I was also ready to sell it a few times but no one would buy it the way it was driving, so I just hit part after part. What I thought and many other ideas were never right in direction were way off, what seemed right was not.

I have reintroduced this vibe twice this summer, once when I put the 60's under it, and then going down to a 8.5 wide rim from a 10" wide rim. The 10" wide rim had helped with my vibe earlier but was also a upgrade, kill two birds with one stone kinda thing.

Here is a partial older list as to what I changed out for parts. I did my best to change out parts one at a time or in sets trying to pin-point just what the cause was. Only to find out it was not mech related.

Four new ball joints x6
Four new tires (sets) x5
Four new rims (sets) x3
New tranny mount
New motor mounts
Motor mount inserts
New calipers x6
New pads x6
New tie rod ends x6
New brake rotors x4
New track bar x4
New pitman arm
New draglink
New rear wheel bearings and seals
New u joints in the front axel
Rebuilt front driveshaft
New rear drive shaft u joints
New unit bearings both sides (once a year)
New rear brake drums and shoes x2
New rear brake cyld
New pinion bearings
New carrier bearings
New Dl front and rear
New 4.56 gears
New rear axles
Rebuilt transfer case
New motor x2
Re man trany
Multiple types of sparkplugs, wire leads, caps and rotors
New fuel injectors
New CKPS x2
New Cam sensor x2
New AIT
New AIC
New Map
New temp sender (gauge)
New temp sensor (PCM)
New tps
New 02 sensors (a few brands tried)
New fuel pumps (four and working on five)
New upper and lower control arms
New leaf-spring bushings
New leaf springs
New water pumps
New alts
New coil-spring x3

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Ouch! You did allot more than me. I've had 3 very trust worthy shops go through it. Most of the work I've done myself or with a family friend who's been working on trucks for 40 years. Allot of the stuff is the same, calipers, pads, tires, rims, tie rods, coils springs etc. doesn't hurt to try to losen the control arms and put them back together.

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
"let the cam bolts and washers be free" are you saying don't touch them when I loosen all the other bolts? I don't want to misenterpet anything.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I just undo the nut most of the way, move the bolt out and the washer so the cams are not in play (in there slots on the diff) move it (truck) don't hit the brakes to stop, shut it off and get under it and tighten them. I also make sure the control arm moves freely in the diff bracket, use the cam bolt to help get it to move if you have to. If that does not work then try just the one side idea.

Edit: You do know this goes against all the so called rules right lol.

All the bolts stay in there holes just loose.

Your parts list is close to the same because that is the path it leads you to think/follow, vibe when braking ok drums/rotors and shoes/pads not.

Last edited:

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Do you measure or set any angle.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Do you measure or set any angle.

I used to have a set angle but as my truck has been changed quite a bit this summer/fall I have had to start all over again as the old numbers no longer worked for me. I doubt if what works (numbers) on my truck will work for the op, this is a keep trying thing until you find the sweet spot.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Make sense wider tires call for different allignment specs than stock show how many shop correct for that

OP
OP
K

Kodiak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Just an update. I haven't done anything else to my truck yet. I've been to busy messing with my jeep. Trucks going in the shop Tuesday for a new manifold and going to yank the axles before I try the cam adjustments. Fingers crossed. Anyone do anything to their rigs ?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I realize this is a bit dated but I have experience with this exact problem. It was a terrible pain to find the culprit but for me it ended up being the bearing (or lack of) in the steering shaft. Do you have play in your steering column, like being able to wiggle the steering wheel up and down or feel it shift to the side if you grab it to pull yourself into the truck. 'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering ! is how I fixed it. Apparently a common problem on 2nd gen rams.

Red94yj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I followed this post from the beginning as my dodge has a little front end bounce to it. Wonder what happened to Kodiak

dieseldays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i figured that i would go ahead and try one of these Dodge Steering Stabilizer as these other sites don't look very legit there's another good one from thoughobread diesel or something like that which one do you guys think is better ?