01 5.9 46RE help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroadgerwien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.9L
I received a 2001 2500 5.9L from a co-worker who claimed it needed too much work and was getting to old to be reliable. I've fixed all of the problems it had except for a transmission slip in second and third gear. I've performed some maintenance, like tightening up the two bands, changing the filter, and replacing all of the fluid with ATF 4. The slip persists. The previous owner claims the 46RE was rebuilt twice before but doesn't know what exactly was done at the shop. What I would like to know is what solenoids I should also replace and if there was a heavy duty version of them i can get online? And if anybody has some detailed pictures of the transmission layout? I'm a complete noob concerning transmissions so any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance guys.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The short answer is probably one you don't want to hear. I'd try to find a quality shop to rebuild the trans. While just rebuilding a 46RE isn't that hard using a good reference manual, going into one that others have had their mittens into can open a can of worms. There have been several issues with these transmissions, like overdrive coolant flow, that there have been several methods of "fixing", and some don't play well with others. There are also several variations of "shift kits" that may or may not work with each other, not to mention some clash with the electronic governor function in the valve body. To be honest, even though I am reasonably familiar with these units, I would probably pull it apart, and if I didn't find a glaring error in assembly, I'd probably source another complete core to rebuild, or at least a valve body.

That said, it would also be hard to try to walk someone through all the things that could cause your issues, since they appear in 2 different gears. Different apply circuits, different mechanical parts used. And to properly diagnose sometimes requires monitoring pressure circuits with gauges, and electric solenoid apply circuits with a scanner.

If your research has made references to people curing shift issues with changing solenoids, they are usually referring to changing the governor transducer and pressure solenoid. This fix is more for erratic shift speeds and not a slipping issue. They take the place of the mechanical governor in the RH style, and they read and adjust governor pressure using input and output from the computer. There are HD versions of these - most diesel transmission sites sell them. One actually adapts an Allison solenoid to the Dodge trans.

This probably isn't the answer you were wanting to hear, but I hope it explains what you are up against.

OP
OP
O

Offroadgerwien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.9L
Ok thank you EvilSpirit, this paints plain the direction i can take, which is a complete swap. Id really rather not get into rebuilding the tranny unless absolutely necessary, does any one know if a 47re will replace the 46re in my truck? I have a 2001 5.9L 360 2500. The research iv done says that everyone has a different opinion, some say yes it will bolt up and work and some say no you can just use parts out of it.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
47RE's are usually V10 or Cummins apps and I don't believe they are a direct bolt in - due to a different engine bolt pattern, but I could be wrong. And yes, many if not all the internals will interchange with a 46RE - many having a higher torque rating. But a properly rebuilt 46RE will take pretty much anything a stock or lightly modded 5.9 gasser can throw at it.

While the front section, where gears 1-2-3 and rev are, the rebuild is reasonably easy, with few specialty tools needed. A good selection of bushing drivers are helpful, and the clutch springs can be compressed with a few simple tools, The rear unit where O/D is - I'd advise strongly to farming that out - the coiled spring in the O/D drum is rated at 650-800lbs, depending on application. Special tool and a hydraulic press is pretty much mandatory.

Valve body - again, pretty straightforward with a decent manual. A good clean well lit work area is a MUST. Installing a mild shift kit , like a TransGo, is a nice option, but beware of the "killer" shift kits - the high line and shift pressures confuse the electronic governor/transducer portion of the computer.

Best case scenario? Finding a friend or local shop that knows RE transmissions and will let you look over their shoulder during a rebuild. Second best would probably buying a good manual and taking the clutch drums and O/D unit to a shop for clutch replacement. Not saying you can't do the whole job yourself - just trying to point out some of the "quirks" of doing it yourself.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Rebuilding the 46RE is actually very easy. Take the trans apart in sub-assemblies and keep each one separated. A big piece of cardboard on your shop floor or bunch works great to organize it & soak up ATF.
A rubber tote & mineral spirits work great as a parts washer.

Rebuilding the OD requires a shop press & this tool....
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com...ring_compressor_alignment_p/300-0000t1318.htm
You don’t need the alignment shaft as you can align everything with your tail shaft them just pull it out to compress the apply spring.

I have the repair manual & tool for the press if interested.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the cummins and 5.2/5.9 share the same bolt pattern. I,m watching this one closely.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wasn't sure on the bolt pattern. I know the Cummins uses a trans adapter plate to get to the actual trans bolt pattern, and they come in several patterns, including Allison. Also, the diesel transmissions were several years behind in converting to the RE style transmissions. There are also RE diesel trans that have an external electric solenoid that controls throttle pressure.

Kind of a neat deal is the O/D drum interchangeability. The O/D drums pretty much interchange across the board - difference being internal - the snap ring height changes according to number of clutches required. I have an RE46 O/D drum in my 42RE (V6 "A500") trans, and I've put a couple V10 or diesel drums in 46 series O/D's.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just picked this up yesterday. It’s getting a PATC stage 3 kit and a billet converter. It will be my first rebuild, can’t wait to get started b5ea6b0aaed2f6e26bced5940716403f.jpg

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It’s a very easy trans to rebuild.
I bought parts from PATC and what was cheaper I got thru transmissionpartsusa.com.
I bought everything (every Sonnax HiPo part)but a harden shaft & a special TC, and minus the ATF I was in for just under a grand with a stock TC. PATCs kits aren’t exactly cheap, and a lot of what is in that kit can be had cheaper else where.

Let me know if you want to borrow the tool for the OD or the manual, I’ll be more than happy to loan it out if you cover shipping both ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Offroadgerwien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.9L
Thank you all so much for your knowledgable and helpful advice! I wanted to share a development concerning the tranny, i dont know if it will help nail down better my problem or point to a specific item. I seriously doubt that this should affect it at all but it happened.I removed my 600lbs of winter weight sandbags and the slipping went away almost completly. Put them back in and it came back. Does that scream anything to anybody?

Last edited:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well I was able to remove the big dangerous spring without the special tool. I found out a 3” rigid PVC coupling was the exact size I needed to fit the overdrive clutch pack. It made short work of it with a shop press
8a9576fef4b6d2f4f16360a9f1bd3dee.jpg

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice red neck ingenuity! Though you’re lucky the pvc didn’t grenade on you, that spring takes like 600# to compress.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Nice red neck ingenuity! Though you’re lucky the pvc didn’t grenade on you, that spring takes like 600# to compress.

Trust me this isn’t the worst setup I’ve seen for taking that spring down. But it worked real smooth.