02 4.7 ground strap behind head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, I'm putting it back together today. I took about 100 pictures of bolt locations and stuff that has helped incredibly.

One thing I didn't get a picture of.

There is a braided flat ground strap that goes from the back of one head to the other then attaches somewhere. The somewhere is what I'm missing. I'm almost positive I have them in the correct holes on the back of the heads but it doesn't reach to any stud on the firewall. I have no idea what it connects to.

Can anyone get under their hood of their 02 4.7 and see if they can snap a pic of what this ground wire attaches to? Again it is a bare flat braided ground strap.

Thanks in advance-

Jim

jhaymon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it does not connect to firewall

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Passenger side firewall above the PCM.

This picture was taken before I did the Big 3 on my truck so the strap is just rotted away on this pic. However it will give you the proper location to re-attach the ground strap.

picture.php

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm then heres what must have happened.

I removed the strap, put the bolts in the holes they came out of.

When the dude surfaced the heads, he must have removed the bolt or it wiggled out when he was cleaning them.

Bottom line it will not reach that stud now so I have to take it loose and put it in a different tapped hole in the back of the head.

Thank you, I think I can still get to it even though the intake is on now. I didn't finish today but got darn close.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150124_164013.jpg
    20150124_164013.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 8,352

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
He must have switched a bolt for a stud on the cover.

Any metal screw with a little buffed surface to remove the paint and provide good contact will do the job on providing good contact for the ground strap. Butter it up real good with dielectric grease once you are done to prevent corrosion and oxidation of the contact surface.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was impossible to get to the bolts behind the head with the intake on. Well difficult anyway so I made a jumper about 10 times overkill and jumped it.

It runs a lot better and sounds totally different. I lost a bracket that holds the air box on top of the intake so I still can't drive it yet. And I need the vacuum hoses for the right and left they are way rotted.

But yay it runs.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would post in the wanted section of the forum about that bracket. I sure someone with a CAI or Aftermarket filter got rid of it and could spare it off to you for next to nothing.

Unless you know you can find it somewhere in Garage... :crazy:

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops sorry, I did post it in wanted and when I found it on my buddies cart (I had one of the guys help me clean the stuff before I reassembled) I edited the wanted section to indicate I had found it and forgot to edit here.

But thank you for the suggestion anyway!

Damndodge02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Hi guys, I'm putting it back together today. I took about 100 pictures of bolt locations and stuff that has helped incredibly.

One thing I didn't get a picture of.

There is a braided flat ground strap that goes from the back of one head to the other then attaches somewhere. The somewhere is what I'm missing. I'm almost positive I have them in the correct holes on the back of the heads but it doesn't reach to any stud on the firewall. I have no idea what it connects to.

Can anyone get under their hood of their 02 4.7 and see if they can snap a pic of what this ground wire attaches to? Again it is a bare flat braided ground strap.

Thanks in advance-

Jim
Just wondering if your still on here? Found thesetwo same straps undone on my dodge but the bolts that hold them on are gone! Any idea what size these bolts in the back of the head is

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
It's not attached in the firewall. I just finished putting a 4.7L engine in. The far end of that braided cable attaches to one of the 10mm studs on the underside of the transmission tunnel on the passenger side above the exhaust down pipe.