'05 Hemi ETC (lightning bolt) light and no crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tjf0725

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try to keep this as short as possible just hoping someone has some insight.... have a 2005 QCSB 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Truck runs and drives fine everyday but today I went to leave work (truck ran fine in the morning) and got ZERO response when turning the key. Not evem am atttempt to crank. Smacked starter a few times (incredibly fun in the middle of this blizzard) and tried jumping it for ***** and giggles evem though the batt ery is reading fine. No idea where to start with this and now the trucks sitting on a jobsite overnight. Any ideas???

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You sure the battery is fine? Don't trust just the battery gauge in the dash, you need to actually check it with at least a volt meter or a good scanning tool. If it's cold enough for a blizzard where you are, my first thought is the battery has taken a dump.

OP
OP
T

Tjf0725

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I'm in eastern PA it's like a HIGH of 20 degrees right now. I know lights and windows and the radio and **** require nowhere near the amount of power that cranking does but for what it's worth they all work fine. No lights are dim, windows are fast. Hooked the truck up to my jump box AND to one of our company trucks and both times got no crank. Can hear the fuel pump kick on and can hear relays clicking but it doesn't even try to crank

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
perhaps your starter is not getting power due to a faulty relay? In my experience, the "fuse box" or integrated control module as it were, has proven to be the root of some electrical related non start issues. A lot more going on in there than just being a fuse box. The fix can be as simple as replacing a fuse or relay or it may require replacing the entire box OR the silver module attached to it need to be replaced. I would try one from a wreckers first to see if that solved the problem before I bought a brand new part however

IMG_3271.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If you are getting normal dash lights when the key is turned on and there is no dimming when in the crank position. I would do a quick check of the starter main wire going to the starter itself. If it looks good then I'd turn ign on and jump the starter to crank the engine. Then if it doesn't crank it points at the starter being bad.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had sane problem and put new a negative battery cable from block to battery and it solved the problem.