!!! $13200 to replace motor!!! HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramguy69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Sorry if this has been answered already, but Dodge wants to charge $13,200 to replace the engine in my 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 with 65,000 miles that is still under the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I was driving to work the other day *noramal flow of traffic* and got a dash full warning lights and lost all power. I pulled into a parking lot and shut the vehicle off. Upon restarting the engine I noticed a very noticeable knocking sound and rough idle. I called my insurance company and requested a tow truck and had it towed to my nearest Dealership. Fast forward a few days and I recive am call from the dealership stating that there is a knock and they need service records. Now normally I change my oil, but I do take it to the dealership if I don't have time. I call the jacksonville Fl dealership in an attempt to ascertain the records, but they tell me I will need to pick them up in person, which is problem because I no longer live in that state and my truck is dead. I called my local dealership and explain this to them and the service adviser tells me he will call and get them. Fast forward a day and I stop by my local dealership and the service adviser tell he has been unable to make contact with the Jacksonville dealership. He tells me that I need to call Chrysler and open a case. While at the dealership I requested to pull the codes and the mechanic tells me there is TCM failures, vacuum failures, and failures to send torque, and a buch or other stuff. The mechanic tells me that the truck will most likely need a long block. I leave the dealership and call Chrysler to start a Warranty case and the woman tells me that a case manager will contact me shortly. The next day the case manager calls and tells me she had gotten the maintenance records and has also spoken to my local dealership. She tells that they need to tear the motor down to " diagnose the problem". She gos on to tell me that it will cost $2500 to brake it down, $8200 to replace it, and $2500 to rebuild it for a grand total of $13200. This can't be right! She tells that she needs me to agree to pay $2500 to brake down the engine so they can "diagnose it" and determine whether or not Warranty will cove it. Is that right? Please help!!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Sounds like BS to me, no way you should have to put out a dime, thats what warranty is for.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they are taking this stance I would guess that after reviewing the service records they have some worry that the death of the motor was caused from lack of lubrication. Asking for you to commit the costs up front is because if they put their labor time and decide it is your fault they are out the cost of that teardown.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
get a lemon law lawyer, they will pay quicker then you think after you file failure to warrant under magnusum-moss.

Say nothing!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would bet a replacement motor would be cheaper than 13k as well...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What oil do you use please let me know?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP
OP
R

Ramguy69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I was told by Chrysler that my motor was still under warranty. If there was some short of problem due to
improper maintenance wouldn't they just deniy the warranty it out right? And I use mobile 1 synthetic 5W20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They deny all the time because people let them. Where are you located?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
lemon law sc and USA

lemon law lawyers your area

Usually the dealer will do the repair when your lawyer sends a demand lawyer, because once they file a law suit you are entitled to relief under magnusum that punishes dealers. I won 13k off cheby for failing to fix something under warranty. That is your case, technically it isn't a lemon, but usually that type of lawyer will take your case. a judge will throw the book at them, engines aren't supposed to expire at 65k, they are full of ****. Don't talk, just freaking hire a lawyer done. Do not provide them records, just gather what you can for your info.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Send an used oil sample to blackstone, dude make sure you don't toss that oil!!!

I'd send two just to make sure. Fill out their form, ask for two kits, you pay when you send it back, only 30 bucks or so per uoa. Dude, make sure you get tbn for an extra 10 bucks, that will let the judge know the oil was still good. Do not let the dealer touch the truck!!!

OP
OP
R

Ramguy69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Thank you for all your help!! I will contact one Monday morning.

OP
OP
R

Ramguy69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
The truck is siting at the dealership and I don't have the key.

OP
OP
R

Ramguy69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Can i get a sample with it sitting there?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
call a tow truck, tow it home, do what i'm saying. If you agree for 2500, they will fkin hammer you and lie. Don't do it. Any reputable dealer would say no worries 65k miles you are covered. Fight. do not let anyone tell you different, don't settle.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't say anymore bud, don't say where it is at.

before they open, have a tow truck waiting. It is your property. Sorry for your troubles, Dodge dealers can really suck sometimes.

Last edited:

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
See if the Ram Cares rep in this forum can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk