14x3 Air Cleaner install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramman1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2 318
For members who don't wanna bend their own bolt... Spectre makes a special bolt just for us dodge owners for this install. I currently run this on my truck and love it. Its a 3 piece design
865-4218.jpg
As you can see the brass shank and nut untighten to reveal 2 threaded rods one straight and one s shaped. Best of all your local auto zone can special order for under 10 dollars. Part number is 4218 under air cleaner holders and is produced by spectre

al9226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 l v8
This thread is designed to 2nd gen owners a basic idea of how to install a 14x3 chrome air cleaner on thier Truck.
It isn't a written in stone approach but there shouldn't be a lot of variables.
One thing to consider is that if you decide to use a "flat" base rather than the recessed one I use, you'll be limited to a 2 inch tall filter element unless you have a body lift.

Anyway here are the basic components to my system.

1st is the recessed base with the breather adapter hose that connects to my pass side valve cover. Some owners prefer not to run plumbing and press a regular breather into the hole on the valvecover but I like my pcv system to function as designed by the OEM.

4429-base.jpg

This is one of tricky parts. With a recessed base you'll need an air cleaner spacer to lift up the base enough to clear the T/B linkage and for my pcv plumbing to clear the IAT.
I'm not into plastic spacers, so I purchased this 1 inch aluminum one online. You need to make sure you use an air cleaner to TB gasket on each side of the spacer!

4430-base-adapter.jpg

Obviously you must remove the original air cleaner to install the new one. I had to cut and slice in a couple of adapters to make my smog hose work.
There's also a small screw protruding out from underside the cowl. Cut it flush with the cowl to get your clearance for the back of the lid. You'll also have to tie the wire looms back a bit.

The next trick is to slide the base and filter together onto the TB, then slip the adapter in there. A little super glue or setup black rtv will hold the top adapter gasket in place. Snake the smog tube in behind the IAC and under the trans cable. It's tricky but not difficult.

Here's an installed shot.

4432-installed-base.jpg

Here's a better shot of the wire ties and beather tube. Dirty motor in need of cleaning...my bad!

4435-installed-base-2.jpg

You'll have to make a "S" bolt...about 3/4 inch center to center. Clean the threads with a chaser when done.

4433-s-nut.jpg

Here's the lid...slide it on top, fit it to the filter element and tighten it down with a nut or wing nut. Make sure the AC to TB gaskets didn't move.

One thing you can't see in this photo is the pitting in the cheap *** chinese chrome...this was caused by the cowl rubber seal falling off and rain water collecting on the filter top. Make sure to glue that seal on with some black RTV so you can remove it if you need to.

4434-top.jpg

Hi - can you post the photos of the breather setup or email them to me.. that's the only thing that I can't figure out.

98blueram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so im wondering bout the s bolt, would the bolt from a durango/dakota 5.9 work for this? i have one for when i used my diy cai.