1500/2500/3500 seat interchangability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to upgrade to leather seats for my '17 Big Horn...was curious if the seats for all the x500 models are the same or if they are different size, configuration etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All 4th gens will be the same size indifferent to X500. The console and jump seats will have different options / looks depending on year and options.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

Another question I meant to ask.... Are the rear seat bottoms in a crew and quad cab different size? I.e. is the crew cab rear seat bottom deeper because of the extra leg room?

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PMS1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I asked the same question about the crew cab / quad cab and was told the seat bottoms are different.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I managed to find the parts list and the cushions are indeed different part numbers. So I would assume they are different sizes as well.

Its a shame....there are TONS of crew cab leather covers out there, but not nearly as many quad cab. I just couldn't live without the 6.4 bed and the crew cab with 6.4 bed seems to be some kind of unicorn.

PMS1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know how you feel. Traded a QC with the 6.4 bed and went to a CC with the 5.5 bed. All I could find with the rearend ratio / posi that I wanted on the ground without paying an arm an a leg for a work truck. I going to have to adapt...

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had a bit of buyers remorse, then I had to bring a 50" TV to my in-laws for Xmas.

In the box, it basically took up all but a couple inches of the 6.4 bed. Would only have fit the smaller bed with the tailgate down which I really dont like doing.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 and up have airbags in the seats. Also, any 4500 or 5500 seats will not.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Quad Cab and I love it. I know the Crew Cab has a lot more room especially if you have a big family but I really prefer the longer bed of the Quad Cab plus prefer the overall look. With all that being said I definitely understand how hard it is to find Laramie seats for Quad Cab. It took me quite a while to find mine. I recommend checking car-part.com I was able to pick mine up there pretty cheap. As stated make sure you get seats out of a 13 or newer Ram so you will have the airbags plus the correct electronics to work with your truck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem I have with car-part.com is that most seats arent labelled as leather or not (some are cloth, some arent labelled at all), not really a consistent way of labelling the cab type they are from, etc. And most of them dont have pictures so I still dont know how good a shape they are in.

Ive basically resigned myself to finding heated cloth seats on eBay or adding the heater pads to my existing seats myself, then getting a custom Katzkin kit later on down the road.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It took me 6 months of intensive searching to find a tan leather front jump seat. I had the same complaint about Car-Part.com and other sites. I ended up find my seats through partrequest.com with the seats listed on eBay. Which was strange because I was checking eBay twice a day, and the seats never showed up in the search. Never figured it out. Even copy and pasted the item into the search bar. I'm sure I had something filtered or set wrong.

I can also confirm the quad and crew cab rear benches are different depth. I though I had my extra set of seats sold the other day until the guy pulled up with a quad cab. I have a feeling its going to be as hard to sell tan leather as it was to find.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tan Katzkin kits (even for a quad cab) are easy to find and pretty cheap on eBay! I dont think anyone wants tan :) Id consider it myself but Im not changing door panels too because I didnt want 3 colors in my truck (4 if you count whatever color they call the headliner).

I prefer the light gray, it will stay cooler in the sun. Plus my interior is already that color, so even if I get light gray leather for the main seating, leaving the jump seat light gray CLOTH at least still matches somewhat (plus how often is the jump seat open anyway?)

The full Katzkin kit (with 3 piece console parts for the jump seat) can be found pretty easily as well, so its just a matter of getting heated seats, even if they are just cloth, then adding the kit. Or finding just the right set of seats already in leather, preferably light gray and just leave the jump seat as-is.

The biggest issue, like you've seen when trying to sell them, is the quad cab. I guess no one bought them or crashed them or ever changed their interiors :)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem I have with car-part.com is that most seats arent labelled as leather or not (some are cloth, some arent labelled at all), not really a consistent way of labelling the cab type they are from, etc. And most of them dont have pictures so I still dont know how good a shape they are in.

Ive basically resigned myself to finding heated cloth seats on eBay or adding the heater pads to my existing seats myself, then getting a custom Katzkin kit later on down the road.
Yes I understand the frustration with car-part.con. they really suck in that area and you never know if the part is listed right unless they show pictures. I usually try to narrow it down by my search so it only brings up the seats that are supposed to be correct ( wich are many times listed wrong ) and then I call and ask for pictures and ask questions to make sure it's the correct item. I just can't see paying the inflated price on eBay and dumping around 1,500 to 2,000 or more for a good set of front and rear seats. I got my Laramie leather seats for $600 front and rear with the fold-out floor on car-part.com plus $230 to have them shipped because they were on the East Coast and I'm on the West Coast. EBay has totally jacked up the price since we have figured out how to put the seats in our trucks and actually make all the functions work. It's easy to tell when you call them if these seats are right or not. Just ask them what type of vehicle they came out of. You know if it was a Laramie a Longhorn horn or a Limited they're going to be leather and be heated and ventilated because that's standard equipment on those trucks. The only one you have to be careful with is if they came out of a sport because some Sports had ventilated seats and some did not.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont feel like they are necessarily upping the prices on eBay. This stuff is expensive no matter which way you cut it.

I just checked car-part.com quickly and there were only a couple leather seats listed in my area. Even still, they were 250 EACH, so thats 500 for fronts and no pics so I have to take them at their word about part grading.

Ebay is more expensive, but most of them are not selling just the fronts. And there is still something to be said about actually seeing what you are getting before you get it (within reason, assuming the seller isnt lying).