1500 diesel for 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it was the 5.9L or 6.7L i would jump on it but for only 240hp and 420tq its not worth it. The hemi makes about the same TQ but more HP and is 2850.00 less. I know a diesel is more reliable vs gas but the whole 240hp doesnt get my attention. If they offer programmers and aftermarket exhaust system from the turbo back, then i can see the MPG increase being worth the money after you spend the 2000.00 in modding it for the increase.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll probably wind up getting the 3500 dually diesel instead. Correction. My husband will. I like what I got but men are never satisfied!!!

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im holding judgement until the aftermarket gets ahold of a few of these, and then see what can be done with them. I think 3.0 is kinda small, would rather have seen something 4.0 or bigger.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's awesome that Ram is building half ton diesels. Not all us need a truck that can pull 20,000 lbs and don't want to pay the extra registration taxes for having a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but want the same benefits of owning a diesel. Looks like I might be trading in my Ram next year.

archerymaniac72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I originally thought about trading my 2012 in on one of the 1500 diesel, upon further research have changed my mind. The towing capacity is less than the hemi and the mpg is only 2 higher than the 2014 hemi. Not worth the extra $$ to me. I will wait a year or two and see what the aftermarket can do with it.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will be in the market for one of the 1/2 on diesels after they have a few production years to iron out kinks and epa related issues that I'm sure will arise.
Really liking the idea of a long bed crew max tundra with a diesel or waiting to see what the titan revamp looks like. Either way I'll probably be back in a diesel by 2015 haha

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I will be in the market for one of the 1/2 on diesels after they have a few production years to iron out kinks and epa related issues that I'm sure will arise.
Really liking the idea of a long bed crew max tundra with a diesel or waiting to see what the titan revamp looks like. Either way I'll probably be back in a diesel by 2015 haha

X2 im actually thinking of looking at all the 1/2 ton diesels not just dodge. Never thought I would think of getting a nissan in the future

2nazt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Id be in on the Titan revamp since they are running the cummins in it from what I've seen. Makes me excited. Just need to actually have a LSD since they don't currently.

Big

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 CTD
I originally thought about trading my 2012 in on one of the 1500 diesel, upon further research have changed my mind. The towing capacity is less than the hemi and the mpg is only 2 higher than the 2014 hemi. Not worth the extra $$ to me. I will wait a year or two and see what the aftermarket can do with it.

Only 2 mpg higher? The diesel mileage figures have not been released yet but most estimates give it around a 4-5 mpg advantage over the Hemi with 8-speed and a small gain over the Pentastar V6.

Of course, mileage figures are highly influenced by driving style and payload. Also, the diesel and gas engines have different strengths. The diesel's peak torque and hp are at 2000 rpm less than the gassers which makes them much better for hauling loads long distances, not so ideal for unloaded city commuting.

Overall the diesel will certainly use less fuel but the cost savings would probably be small at today's prices. The real reason for buying a diesel has more to do with how we use the truck.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally wouldn't buy any new, "over regulated" diesel. That last thing I want to do is bypass all the emissions equipment, and risk being stuck with a $50k paperweight that is not under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel