1500 to 2500 cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cp288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all I need some advice. Ive been wanting to get a diesel for awhile so i think my 14 1500 will go and i am going to look at a 2014 2500 regular cab manual 6speed cummins diesel with about 50k miles at a dealership. My question is what are some of the main things i should really take my time and look at. Example some of the known problems on these. I think its deleted but dont know for sure have only seen pictures so far and they dont have any of the engine bay. Anyway any pointers of things to look close at would be appreciated. Thanks all

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
50K is some low miles, thing is not even close to being broken in yet. I have a 2014 and I have 30K miles, so good to know I may be under the normal..

I can't think of anything to look at but the plastic Y coupler on the radiator. If it has some white residue on it, easy fix. Geno's Garage sells metal ones.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
With 50k on the clock there really isn't a lot to worry about as long as it hasn't been abused. I replaced the water pump at 55k on my '12 but that is the only work other than routine maintenance.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bah - 50k is 50k -
Check the idle Hours !!-
Hopefully it is deleted, you can tell by looking at the engine bay for the egr, and also look underneath for the scr/dpf in the exhaust. Check the bed for 5th wheel holes/mount.Find out how long it has been sitting, What's the weather like where you are?? How much do they want for the truck? Are they offering a Extended warranty? My personal gripe is the effect the emissions crap has on the longevity of a diesel motor.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i am going to look at a 2014 2500 regular cab manual 6speed cummins diesel with about 50k miles at a dealership. My question is what are some of the main things i should really take my time and look at.

If it is deleted, then the weak point is the clutch unless that has been addressed, there are aftermarket solutions.

The problem with buying a used, and one that may be deleted, is getting access to what was actually done to the truck.

Looks like you have found a nice truck. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cp288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bah - 50k is 50k -
Check the idle Hours !!-
Hopefully it is deleted, you can tell by looking at the engine bay for the egr, and also look underneath for the scr/dpf in the exhaust. Check the bed for 5th wheel holes/mount.Find out how long it has been sitting, What's the weather like where you are?? How much do they want for the truck? Are they offering a Extended warranty? My personal gripe is the effect the emissions crap has on the longevity of a diesel motor.

Well I am in iowa and the weather sucks.

They are asking $31000 for it which is on the high end and I wont pay that price they need to deal with me because after all it is a regular cab and not to many people are looking for them.

All i see is the hole for a gooseneck in the pictures. Ill go look at it and test drive friday hopefully. Carfax is saying its a 2 owner truck. 1st owner only had it for about 8000 miles but the 2nd owner registered it as a commercial vehicle so will have to find out more on that and hopefully talk to the previous owner.

Nothing major in carfax just a few recalls and a driveshaft service.

OP
OP
C

cp288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also would like to thank you all for taking any doubts out of my head about a used diesel. Will have to see what it is in person and go from there. Ill keep you updated.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
31k -
Personally I'd take a hit in trim lvl and look for a new truck - check maybe dennis Dillion - this was my dehlima when I went to buy a truck- No way in hell I was gonna spend 30k plus got used when I could get new for under 10k more and the difference in the apr of the two different loans meant I paid less for the new truck- dennis Dillion has tradesmens for 40k-50k

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
31k -
Personally I'd take a hit in trim lvl and look for a new truck - check maybe dennis Dillion - this was my dehlima when I went to buy a truck- No way in hell I was gonna spend 30k plus got used when I could get new for under 10k more and the difference in the apr of the two different loans meant I paid less for the new truck- dennis Dillion has tradesmens for 40k-50k

This is good advice. For that price I'd see what you can find brand new. There are deals to be had our there, ,plus no question on the trucks history then. Trucks hold their value so well, i think it's better to buy new if at all possible. Good luck

OP
OP
C

cp288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well went and looked at the used one and it didnt look like it did in the pictures. So Ill just keep looking but there are no deals I can find around here. I emailed dennis dillon on a price of a new regular cab with some of the things I wanted and just waiting to hear back. Someone said somewhere that they would order a truck for the same deal structure they have so we will see.

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish Dennis Dillion wasn't so far from me... They have new Cummins 2500 Crew Laramie for $47k

No local dealerships will come close to touching their prices.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plane ticket is only 100$ - Then break it in driving it home -
I promise even with a few hotel rooms and the fuel cost you will still come out ahead-