'19 hood flexing during highway speeds...normal for aluminum??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Panels on vehicles are so thin these days you can just about notice flexing on everything if you look at it close enough. Double edged sword. Thin panels are cheaper to make, saves gas, and is safer in an accident. They're also more expensive to repair, don't hold the paint as well and you can't sit on them like in the old days :)

Personally, I miss the days of being able to sit on the hood of a car AND not worry about scratching it because the paint was thick enamel. I suppose I could just go buy an older vehicle, but then I'd miss the improvements too. I guess you can't have it all!

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is a process that the dealership service department will do to reduce this..

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Panels on vehicles are so thin these days you can just about notice flexing on everything if you look at it close enough. Double edged sword. Thin panels are cheaper to make, saves gas, and is safer in an accident. They're also more expensive to repair, don't hold the paint as well and you can't sit on them like in the old days :)

Personally, I miss the days of being able to sit on the hood of a car AND not worry about scratching it because the paint was thick enamel. I suppose I could just go buy an older vehicle, but then I'd miss the improvements too. I guess you can't have it all!

Sure ya can, just not in the same vehicle necessarily...so buy one of each! I've had my classic car since I was 17 and since our winters are brutal every year, I've always had to have a newer truck as well. I love having both old and new school, sometimes the simplicity is awesome and other times I love having the technology, I'd highly recommend it!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a new 2019 this last weekend, out on highway today and seen a lot of flex dead center! Came in and started searching to see if it was a known issue.

Color: Granite Crystal Metallic

It is bothersome that a new truck flexes that much. Wondering if there is a fix? Possibly a bug deflector or something to divert the wind higher?

Though love to put that sport hood on my truck, but dang just got it 2 days ago!

Nice job on searching for your question first before starting a new thread, that's a rarity anymore!