1982 fuses problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanadrv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I continue to blow my #8 fuse marked ext lps. I have tried to research what might be causing this but haven't found anything. Any ideas? Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there is most likely a short in the wiring or 1 of the bulbs causing that fuse to keep blowing.

OP
OP
W

wanadrv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or a rusty socket.....

Does that fuse cater to the headlights/markers AND tallights or just front or rear? Reason being, I just replaced all the rear lights and sockets but not the front.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
there is no fuse on the headlights. the fuse does cover the marker lights both front and back. the turn signals and brake lights are on a separate fuse from the marker lights. did if have issues with blowing fuses before changing the rear light sockets?

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think one fuse is for the front and rear turn signals and stop lamps, and another is for headlights. But check the fuse allegation online, it'll pop up on a search.....Mine did but mine is different since it's a 1991

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I think one fuse is for the front and rear turn signals and stop lamps, and another is for headlights. But check the fuse allegation online, it'll pop up on a search.....Mine did but mine is different since it's a 1991
nope. there is no fuse for the headlights. there is supposedly a self resetting breaker in the headlight switch for the headlights but no fuse. there 1 fuse for the exterior lights and a 2nd fuse for the brake and turn signal lights.
this is for a 86 but i am pretty sure 82 would be similar if not the same
0rBZkMbf8AM4sJs5st8SOCWjLAeFfwok1BtKg=w846-h625-no.jpg

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I still say it's a socket that has become rusty or corroded.

OP
OP
W

wanadrv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I will check the sockets this weekend. Yes, the issue was happening prior to the changing of the tail lights. Essentially here is the full scenario.

1) key in on position
2) headlights in off position - nothing happens
3) key in on position (but not started) and headlights to marker light position I have no marker lights. I also have no dims just brights when I hit the dimmer switch. anytime I pull the headlights out (on) the 20a fuse blows. Its the number 8 fuse that reads "ext lps"

I checked the main ground that connect to the radiator area for the headlights and it seems good.

Sniper X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird. I'm thinking someone rewired something in the lighting circuit and did a crap job. Has it always done this since you got it?