1985 Dodge Prospector 5.2L Stalling Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CodyP23, Jun 30, 2016.

1. CodyP23

CodyP23 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hey everyone, I have a 1985 Dodge with a 318. A couple of days ago it started stalling at idle. Runs perfect when I'm driving or just giving it gas, but as soon as I let off the pedal it dies. It will always start right back up though. I know the battery is good, but the positive terminal is messed up and needs to be replaced. Could this stalling possibly be caused by the terminal or is this a fuel problem? Thank you for the help!

2. Rustycowl69

Rustycowl69 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 ram 3500
    Engine:
    V10
    To determine if it is a fuel problem, when it stalls, you could pop the hood, remove the air cleaner assembly, look down the carb throat and work the throttle linkage, and watch to see if you can see fuel discharge from the accelerator pump. The squirt of fuel should be strong and immediate. It can also be instructIve to monitor the fuel level in the plastic in line fuel filter. I don't know if you have a charcoal cannister, but if you overfill the gas tank, it can overwhelm the charcoal filter and send little beads of charcoal into the carb and cause all kinds of problems.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  3. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    @rustycowel there is normal no clear filter on these trucks from the factory. if there is one on the truck it is aftermarket. now i do agree that it is possible charcoal is getting into the carb. if there is a charcoal canister still in the truck i would advise installing a clear filter between the canister and carb to keep the stuff out of the carb.

i would also recommend looking at the fuel system and possibly getting a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure. if you are not getting and holding proper fuel pressure the truck can run bad or quit running all together.

4. CodyP23

CodyP23 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Thanks for the info. I ran a bunch of seafoam through it and changed the fuel filter and its running great. So either the fuel filter was the problem, or the seafoam somewhat cleaned the carb.

5. bozeblake

bozeblake Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Where is the fuel filter? I have not got my manual yet just got truck. I checked fuel line did not see it. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk