1988 w100 wont idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neveridle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Hello, I am new to the forum and am having trouble with my latest project. I am hoping someone can help me figure out the problem. Its a 1988 w100 with 318 efi and when I got it the previous owner had installed aftermarket headers on it. It would not idle for long and would stall out and the engine was making noise like it had a valve or lifter tap.I took it to my local garage and he put a new fuel filter on it and said my problem was that it had no o2 sensor on it so the computer had no way to tell how much fuel to give it. I had a heck of a time finding the correct exhaust manifolds for it for I have a bad back and cannot go climbing around junkyards anymore. Anyways I had the manifolds put on but the mechanic did not put the new 92 sensor that I had given him ( it had a 02 sensor in it when I got them) nor did he hook up the wires. Its a long story but he had my truck for a month so I just went and got it back. When I brought it home I hooked the wires up to the 02 sensor and it was amazing, the motor quieted right down and ran much smoother. It idled fine, but the next day it started doing the same thing. So today I inplugged th 02 sensor and the motor idle came up for 20 seconds and the motor quited down again. Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? Neveridle