1988 w150 engine swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rammed W150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all I'm new to this forum and hope this question is in the right spot.
First off I just bought a 1988 W150 in great shape for 1500 bucks running and drivable, here is a picture of it. The motor has close to 200k miles on it and is weak and just plain wore out. I have a great running 1978 360 motor I want to drop in it. My question is would this motor bolt up to my 727 ? and I'm wanting to do away with all the fuel injection stuff and just run a carb, would I have to get a new engine wiring harness or can I just cut off the wires I'm not gonna need ? thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't think you will really gain as much as you think from the swap. the tbi setup is better than carb when working properly.

to answer your questions yes the 360 should bolt to your transmission. you would just need a balanced flex plate for a 360 or a weighted torque converter. you could disconnect all the tbi stuff and and go with a carb but there is likely small issues you will have to deal with that will cost more like the fuel system. you will need a fuel pressure regulator to lower he fuel pressure and you will need to rewire the fuel pump so that the computer doesn't control it since the computer will no longer turn it on without the correct signals