1990 half ton dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Countrygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I found a black half ton 1990 dodge ram pickup for sale on craigslist it has a little over 100,000 miles on it and has barely any rust. The owner is asking 2,000 for it but I think I could negotiate it down a bit. I think it would look awesome with a little lift on it (like 3") and a new paint job I would use it as a daily driver. Is that a stupid idea? I just love the older body style on trucks and would love to trade my car in for a lifted truck.

1990dodgeram.jpg

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Engine? FI or Carb? I'd honestly look for something newer if at all possible, but in the end you have to do what you think is right and buy what you can afford.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is throttle body injection which is similar is similar to carb. you better not expect great gas mileage especially with a 4x4. depending on what transmission is in it and how you drive gas mileage will vary from about 9mpg-18mpg. i don't see any reason you would not be able to use it as a daily driver. i swap back and for between my 81 and 93 all the time. my 93 gets used on the highway because it has a transmission with overdrive and i use my 81 to cruise around town or do stuff that can only be done with a truck.

Engine? FI or Carb? I'd honestly look for something newer if at all possible, but in the end you have to do what you think is right and buy what you can afford.
you must not be a first gen person. just because you are not does not mean you should rain on her parade. she said she like the body style. what more do you need than that. i like first gen dodge trucks and i drove my 81 as a daily driver for about 1 year getting 9mpg and spending $400 a month on gas but i would not trade it for a new piece of crap.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
it is throttle body injection which is similar is similar to carb. you better not expect great gas mileage especially with a 4x4. depending on what transmission is in it and how you drive gas mileage will vary from about 9mpg-18mpg. i don't see any reason you would not be able to use it as a daily driver. i swap back and for between my 81 and 93 all the time. my 93 gets used on the highway because it has a transmission with overdrive and i use my 81 to cruise around town or do stuff that can only be done with a truck.

you must not be a first gen person. just because you are not does not mean you should rain on her parade. she said she like the body style. what more do you need than that. i like first gen dodge trucks and i drove my 81 as a daily driver for about 1 year getting 9mpg and spending $400 a month on gas but i would not trade it for a new piece of crap.

She had looked at a 2nd gen earlier I believe, hence my comment.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you told her to go with something newer and something that she can afford. 2nd gen trucks may seem may affordable until you have to replace a transmission or fix damage cause by stuff like a blown plenum gasket. first gen trucks are simple, reliable trucks. the biggest thing you got to worry about on a first gen is rust and old electrical but 2nd gen trucks are not much better. most of these issue can be fixed with time and money but it would probably be a lot easier to fix first gen. as far as gas mileage goes 2nd gen trucks don't get any better gas mileage.

OP
OP
C

Countrygirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
There is no need to argue. I appreciate both of your opinions. I like the 1st and 2nd gen I'm just shopping around for a truck that I like. I don't really have a definite type that I want.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Some kids just like to fight. As I stated, buy what you like! Just have a tech look it over real well.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going from a car to a 4x4 is going to triple your gas bill. For some this is not a problem. The age of the vehicle only matters when it comes to the condition of said vehicle. As with all used autos an inspection needs to be done by a qualified tech that doesn't work for the seller. Even this is no guarantee on the life of the vehicle.
Your personal needs, wants and abilities will define what you get.
JUST BE CAREFUL

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crazzywolfie- Chewy was giving an opinion. No need to get all upset because of it. Not everybody likes daily driving a vehicle that is over 20 years old like you might

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Everyone here has valid points. I personally am a truck fan period. If the truck was maintained well and taken care of there is no reason to shy away from a good used truck. Naturally everyone is worried about the fuel mileage. If you like it drive it. I have a diesel and its crazy expensive. I also have a little mustang. I don't drive the car because I love my truck.

This first gen looks to be in good shape. I'd be sure to hear it run and look for chewed wires and make sure the 4wd works. If possible have a mechanic come with you to look at it or have it arranged to take it in for a quick look see. Never hurts to look.

Everyone has their opinions and we all share them differently. I say get what you love! It will make all the difference down the road.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks pretty clean, the chances of a truck lasting 23 years and being that clean and poorly maintained are pretty slim.

It's certainly going to SUCK for MPGs. I'd guess this is a 'full time 4x4' still. NP203 transfer case etc. So you can buy some parts for the T-case / hubs for the front and free up about 3-4 MPG.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
shouldn't be full time 4x4 unless someone has converted it. i don't know exactly what year but i am pretty sure the last fulltime 4x4 truck was built in the 70's. it should get the same 9-18mpg that most other 4x4's get. it all depends on how you drive. you do lots of straight highway driving at 55mph you may get that 18mpg. you do lots of city driving you will most likely get 9mpg.