1994 Dodge 1500 5.2 V8 Magnum, scrape sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tulum69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hello

I recently purchasd this Ram, replaced the ignition and battery and got it running, runs and starts great, only issue for now is a metallic rubbing sound while it is in gear, has a manual transmission and I beleive it may be the clutch, just wish to verify as the scrapping sound has resonance and sounds like it is coming from between the cab and bed underneath, when I am in netrual there is no sound, when I shift through the gears the scraping sounds through all the gears but goes away when I place it in netrual, clutch pedal it self is stout like it should be and there is no sound when I press the clutch in netrual.

The sound also wavers with the engine speed as it revs up and down while in gear.

Any info will be helpful.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

I would check the fluid in your transmission to start with. If it smells burnt or has metal shards in it, that's no bueno.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If its a manual there isnt any trans fluid to check. lol It could be the flywheel or could be the synchronizers. If it is there in all the gears I would say its probably the gears themselves or the sychronizers. Does it grind or anything of that nature when you put it into gear? Also Is this a 4x4or a 2wd?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Manual trannys do have gear oil in them and while it shouldn't have to be checked often, if things look like they've been leaking it wouldn't hurt.

Internet diagnostics are sometimes dicey when it comes to noises. Have you checked your U-joints for a dry cap?
Does the crankshaft have any freeplay? This can cause sunds as the crank can move lateraly if the center main bearing is worn.

I had a similar issue (but it was more of a whine) on a '69 Roadrunner. Turned out the front tranny bearing was bad as was the center cap. Almost ruined a numbers matching car.

OP
OP
T

tulum69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Thanks for the reponses, I will be checking on it, the sound is a deep sounding scrape, like metal on metal, I do think it may be the flywheel as the cltch seems okay but perhaps it is not disengaging properly, the truck was in an accident prior, the rear bumper is bent in and down and the front has a slight dip down but overall is solid, the scraping sound only happens in gear

OP
OP
T

tulum69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Hi, it is a two wheel drive, manual transmission, 5 speed