1996 power steering box seal kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thjensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My input shaft seal was gushing psf so I pulled the box off and got a master seal set from Advance auto parts. All the teflon rings and o-rings fit correctly but the input shaft seal seemed way too big. It also didn't come with a new snapring or dust seal. Reading Amazon shopping reviews for the Edelmann 8777 input seal, which is supposed to fit 2nd gen Rams, another user reported same issue for a wrangler that is supposed to take that seal. He said the Edelmann 8525 is the correct seal.

Looking up a replacement steering gearbox gave me one from Detroit Axle that fits 2nd gen rams and a bunch of GMCs. Searching for the input shaft seal to fit those GMC trucks gives me, bingo, the 8525 seal kit which is pictured with seal, dust cover, and snapring.

Anybody else run into this issue? Is the 8525 really going to work?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

thjensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My input shaft seal was gushing psf so I pulled the box off and got a master seal set from Advance auto parts. All the teflon rings and o-rings fit correctly but the input shaft seal seemed way too big. It also didn't come with a new snapring or dust seal. Reading Amazon shopping reviews for the Edelmann 8777 input seal, which is supposed to fit 2nd gen Rams, another user reported same issue for a wrangler that is supposed to take that seal. He said the Edelmann 8525 is the correct seal.

Looking up a replacement steering gearbox gave me one from Detroit Axle that fits 2nd gen rams and a bunch of GMCs. Searching for the input shaft seal to fit those GMC trucks gives me, bingo, the 8525 seal kit which is pictured with seal, dust cover, and snapring.

Anybody else run into this issue? Is the 8525 really going to work?

Just an update, you can make an 8777 seal fit but IT AIN'T PRETTY. The tube around my pitman arm shaft is pretty mangled as well from the days before I had a bottle jack pitman puller, so getting a seal in there messes it up pretty good too. I'm writing this one off and putting a new box in eventually. I've gotta say the bottle jack puller is a godsend though. Just a plate about 3x5x3/8 with a semicircle cut in one edge to about the middle. There's about 24" of 3/8 chain welded to one end and a 3/8 bolt welded opposite. You slip the plate ontop of the arm, the semicircle cut is for the shaft. Slip a link of chain over the bolt and put a nut on "for safety". With the pitman nut backed off stick a bottle jack in the loop of chain pressing on the shaft/nut. Pump it up and one whack with a 2lb hammer and the arm is off. No torches or grinders, just make sure everything is sitting square before you pump it way up.