1997 ram won't start we moist outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seann Gerken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 lt V8 magnum
Hello, I'm new to this site. Just wanted to see if anyone could help me with some ideas.
My 1997 Dodge ram 1500 5.2lt will not start after it rains. I thought something was getting wet, so I even put a tarp over the whole front end if the truck last time it rained. Still would not start. So nothing is getting wet, it is just moisture in the air appearently. I've replaced plugs and wires. Map sensor, IAC sensor, ignition coil. None of these things helped. And let me restate that nothing is getting wet. It's just moisture in the air. I tried using starting fluid and will not start either. So I don't think it is getting any spark. A mechanic told me he thinks it could be my crank position sensor, but I have my doubts. Tired of changing and buying parts. Any ideas? Thanks

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check for moisture under the distributor cap.
My ‘99 would do the same when it wasn’t moist out & nothing was getting wet.

OP
OP
S

Seann Gerken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 lt V8 magnum
Check for moisture under the distributor cap.
My ‘99 would do the same when it wasn’t moist out & nothing was getting wet.

So are you saying your '99 would not start when it was dry outside? cause mine starts fine when it is Dry outside. I guess I figured having a little moisture under the distributer would just make it run choppy, but not cause complete loss of spark? Cause even if I use starting fluid in the carb it will not start, so not getting any spark. Thanks

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It would start fine when it was dry, in the rain or after, even snow it would just crank. The moisture ends up grounding it out.

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check to see if you have an RPM reading on your tach when the no start occurs. I have seen moisture short out the crank sensor which pulls down the 5v reference to several sensors.