1998 1500 ram horn stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richterat83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
So driving home yesterday, the horn just came on and stayed on. I managed to make it stop by pulling on the horn/airbag at the top right corner, but made for interesting turning and honking. Got the truck home and pulled the airbag out and inspected but found nothing. Upon attempting to put the airbag back in the wheel, anytime it touched anything the horn went off again. I'm guessing something has shorted out in the horn pad behind the airbag?

I've been googling and finding issues with horns honking because clock spring, but mine isn't short chirps but just a constant honk. Also the fact I can pull the airbag up to get it to stop tells me something else.

Yesterday I disconnected the hot wire on the horn so it'd stop honking and put the airbag back in for now but went to start it this morning and battery is completely dead.

Thanks so much in advance!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
possibly the clockspring in the steering wheel has failed

OP
OP
R

richterat83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Went ahead and ordered a new Dorman clockspring off amazon with 1 day shipping, so i'll have it tomorrow and will swap it out and report back.

It may have been bad for a while now as the trucks got cruise control on the wheel but it's never worked. See if it fixes 2 things.

I'll also take the battery in today to get checked out