1999 1500 4x4 Tranny Stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walkingant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 automatic transmission stutters at around 30-45 mph. It will stop if I turn off the OD and is ok, once I get above 50 mph. Tranny fluid was changed, but no difference. Any clues?
I did search forum, and never found my exact problem, not to say it isn't there.
Thank You

1999 Dodge Ram 1500
5.2 4x4 automatic

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Some more info needed, what's the mileage on trans, what type of atf is being used? When the fluid was changed, was there an abnormal amount of metal on the magnet? Before you changed fluid, did it have a burnt smell or very dark?

Most cases it's just an adjustment but really it could be a few different things, just need to narrow it down.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its very possibly the torque converter lockup is starting to fail causing the issue as its trying to engage, since turning off OD fixes it as well as going above the speed where the lockup occurs. First signs of damage is going to be burnt material in the fluid and higher than normal trans temps.

OP
OP
W

Walkingant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mileage on transmission is 228K, put in a crate engine at 203k. I believe it was ATF4. There was some metal, but not certain what is normal or abnormal. No Burnt smell. But fluid was defiantly old as I got the truck at 46K and was first change. Yes not good.
No noticeable burnt material in the fluid and never noticed any higher trans temp?
It used to shift harder in the winter, would have to let off the gas to get it to shift, but it started shifting “normal” about a year or so ago.
It first started to stutter after I pulled a u-haul car hauler to a distant city and loaded a car on it. Started to merge onto the freeway and the stutter started. If that had anything to do with the stutter..

Thanks for replies!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
46k is not a lot for the first tranny fluid change. Try 150k ..(been there!). Usually shudder is related to slippage of the clutch plates. That could be because they are oil-soaked with the previous type fluid, or the current fluid additive package (which usually has anti-shudder agents in them) doesn't have enough, or right type.

Try a different brand ATF. I had something like that happen once years ago after changing the trans fluid in my Chevy. Truck bucked and shuttered all over the place. I was preparing to buy a replacement and read about guys having similar problems after a fluid change and to change it again with a different brand. I went to Penzoil ATF and in about 50 miles it went away. That was about 10 years ago and been working normal since. If that doesn't do it (or you could try this first): put an anti-shudder additive package in your existing fluid. I think even FCA sells some. Report back how things turn out for you.

OP
OP
W

Walkingant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed Trans fluid when I got the truck at 46k, next changed it at 227k so thats...(counting on fingers) 181K miles between changes..thats not good! I will try different brand of ATF .
Thank you!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Ohh thats not good at all, max i'd go is 80K on these transmissions, its recommended to be near 50-60K for optimum life. If it started when you were hauling something, it's likely it got hot and started burning. Filter and fluid change is going to be the first step, I stand by Valvoline products, I don't use anything else.

Fluid type must be ATF+4 anything else may have issues. Do not put any other additives in it. Unless you had a trans temp gauge you wouldn't know if there was a temp problem until it became critical and blasted you with the trans temp light on the dash. Just because the light isn't on doesnt mean its all good though.

If you don't have a trans cooler, that would be the first thing i'd be doing followed by a fluid and filter change.

OP
OP
W

Walkingant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do indeed have a trans cooler. No lights came on. Only thing I have had lately that left a code is a #3 cylinder miss but changed the plugs n wires, rotor n cap. Checking it today, it was over full on trans fluid, perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 quart. My son had it for a week to move perhaps he filled it.
I will change fluid n filter and see how it goes...

OP
OP
W

Walkingant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol, perhaps ....it was doing the stutter before he borrowed it...but know overfilling the trany fluid can't help.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It could just be tired out, 228k is pretty good mileage out of a trany. May be time for a rebuild.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, 180K between fluid changes is basically a death sentence for these transmissions, hell 70k between fluid changes means a short hard life.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ohh thats not good at all, max i'd go is 80K on these transmissions, its recommended to be near 50-60K for optimum life. If it started when you were hauling something, it's likely it got hot and started burning. Filter and fluid change is going to be the first step, I stand by Valvoline products, I don't use anything else.

Fluid type must be ATF+4 anything else may have issues. Do not put any other additives in it. Unless you had a trans temp gauge you wouldn't know if there was a temp problem until it became critical and blasted you with the trans temp light on the dash. Just because the light isn't on doesnt mean its all good though.

If you don't have a trans cooler, that would be the first thing i'd be doing followed by a fluid and filter change.

50-60k? The FSM for my 96 says this little tidbit:

12,000 Miles (19 000 km)
• Change engine oil.
• Replace engine oil filter.
• Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid.
Replace filter and adjust bands.**

• Change rear axle fluid.
• Change front axle fluid (4x4).
• Inspect brake linings.

That's every 12k miles on my old 96. I suspect that may be too high for just simple work commute every day but I'm not an engineer. lol

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
50-60k? The FSM for my 96 says this little tidbit:

12,000 Miles (19 000 km)
• Change engine oil.
• Replace engine oil filter.
• Drain and refill automatic transmission fluid.
Replace filter and adjust bands.**

• Change rear axle fluid.
• Change front axle fluid (4x4).
• Inspect brake linings.

That's every 12k miles on my old 96. I suspect that may be too high for just simple work commute every day but I'm not an engineer. lol
My manual says the same but there's a couple different maitenance schedules, your probably reading the severe duty maintenance schedule and not the normal duty schedule. I'm not sure off hand but I know the intervals are way longer for normal duty.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, it says light duty schedule I should change the oil every 7,500 miles. I've always heard 3k so I assumed this is wrong.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, it says light duty schedule I should change the oil every 7,500 miles. I've always heard 3k so I assumed this is wrong.

The manuals say strange things sometimes. I'ts likely it says that as a first change from the factory, after that it will likely jump up. I think Dapepper had said 30K intervals at one point, but it might have been 60K, I cant remember. But 60k shouldn't hurt it if you've taken preventative measures like trans cooler and possibly a shift kit.