1999 dana 70 put in 2002 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinAH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I have purchased a dana 70 rear end axle out of a 1999 ram 2500 truck and would like to install on my 2002 3rd gen ram 1500. I'm not too sure where I should start and I was really hoping I'm not the first one trying to accomplish this. I would really love any help or tips I can get!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need to check if the spring perches are the same width apart, if not then you'd have to reweld the perches to match your truck. Then you'll most likely need a custom driveshaft or at least change the end to match the axle, as 1500's have flanges vs bolting in the u-joint to the pinion yoke. Then there's the whole bolt pattern mismatch, as the bigger axle should be 8 lug vs your original 5 lug. Why do you want to do this?

OP
OP
A

AustinAH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My main goal in doing the swap is because it's build a little stronger then the stock 1/2 ton and I got it for a really good deal of 100$

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You wasted a $100. Especially if your truck is four wheel drive.
So you have a $100 diff that won't actually bolt in without modification. More money spent. Wheels need to be bought, tires bought, driveshaft altered. speedometer corrected, etc, etc. Plus the mechanic/welder hired to do the job.
If you can do all this yourself, cool. You'll have a basterdized 1500 with a 3/4t rear diff.
But if you could do this you wouldn't be asking how.
After all it is an easy swap.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You wasted a $100. Especially if your truck is four wheel drive.
So you have a $100 diff that won't actually bolt in without modification. More money spent. Wheels need to be bought, tires bought, driveshaft altered. speedometer corrected, etc, etc. Plus the mechanic/welder hired to do the job.
If you can do all this yourself, cool. You'll have a basterdized 1500 with a 3/4t rear diff.
But if you could do this you wouldn't be asking how.
After all it is an easy swap.

LOL

True though, it will be a weird combo. If you were wanting a stronger axle that is a semi bolt in and has the matching bolt pattern, the D60 out of an SRT truck would've worked better.

OP
OP
A

AustinAH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would I have to get heavy duty leaf springs or could I keep stock? Also I would like know for sure if I could keep stock and if it's even worth to get heavy duty leaf springs if necessary.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would I have to get heavy duty leaf springs or could I keep stock? Also I would like know for sure if I could keep stock and if it's even worth to get heavy duty leaf springs if necessary.

For the rear you're trying to use or an SRT D60?

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
You don't need HD springs. You've got a 1/2-ton chassis and I presume P-metric tires. Besides, the ride quality would markedly change firmer..harsher. There's nothing wrong with having a stout axle and modest springs. IIRC Mopar cars in the '60s/'70s with 440/SixPack or 426 Hemi got a Dana 60 with 5-lug axle flanges and the car spring packs were probably equivalent to a D-100 pickup of the time.

About the only time I could see having extra springs on a 1/2-ton is if you had a really stout drivetrain and you were getting axle wind. Poor folks would add a leaf, rich folks would get traction bars.