1999 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 lighting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My headlights seem to be working backwards. Low beams when high beam is selected, high beams when low beam is selected, and high beam indicator is on even when the truck is off. I have replaced the headlights with the correct bulbs, new fog lights, battery (correct size), and multifunction switch. I am at my witts end. I can no longer drive the truck because it won't pass inspection because of this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds like a short somewhere but you'll probably get better help in the correct subforum. You're in the 4th gen subforum, this belongs in the 2nd gen subforum. Ask the folks there and see what they have to say.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Someone put 9007s in instead of 9004s. Go buy yourself a set of 9004s, they are NOT interchangeable.

OP
OP
Alan_Wilson

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone put 9007s in instead of 9004s. Go buy yourself a set of 9004s, they are NOT interchangeable.
I put the correct bulbs in myself 9007 high beam 9004 low beam.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
It should be 9007 low beam, 9004 high. High beam is the inner low beam is the outer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alan_Wilson

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should be 9007 low beam, 9004 high. High beam is the inner low beam is the outer.
They are in correct, I even switched them to make sure. The problem is still there.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If the high beam indicator is always lit, that means there is a short to ground somewhere on the high beam rail. I'm trying to figure out how the high and low beams can be backwards. The easy though is, they're not. As far as i'm aware, everything is working correctly in that regard. When you hit the high beam switch, the beams switch. The only problem is the high beam indicator is always on. The only way to fix that is to find the short to ground thats somewhere on that section of the circuit. One option is to change the headlight switch.

OP
OP
Alan_Wilson

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the high beam indicator is always lit, that means there is a short to ground somewhere on the high beam rail. I'm trying to figure out how the high and low beams can be backwards. The easy though is, they're not. As far as i'm aware, everything is working correctly in that regard. When you hit the high beam switch, the beams switch. The only problem is the high beam indicator is always on. The only way to fix that is to find the short to ground thats somewhere on that section of the circuit. One option is to change the headlight switch.
You mean get a new switch?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
You mean get a new switch?

Its possible, they are known to go bad, but so far there is nothing to say that is the cause. The only thing in that switch that could cause the issue is the fog lamp section. Another possibility is the multi function switch.

How do you know the high beams and low beams are reversed?

OP
OP
Alan_Wilson

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you pull the Multifunction switch the high beams come on but the indicator turn signals off. Pull it again the low beams come on and so does the indicator. Turn the lightsaber off high beam indicator stay safe on, even when you shuttle the truck off.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Turn the lightsaber off high beam indicator stay safe on, even when you shuttle the truck off.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Tapatalk

Aside from your auto correct speak, what i'm gathering is the high beam indicator is inverted, but does shut off. If thats the case, check the fuses in the fuse block on the driver side of the dash by the door. Fuse 14 is a 10A fuse.

OP
OP
Alan_Wilson

Alan_Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will check that. Thank you.