1st Ram Testdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
So I mailed with the internet sales manager that I would like to drive a RAM with and without the air suspension.
He said he has both in stock.
Today I showed up, drove the one without air suspension.
Then the sales guy tells me:
- the air suspension is not any smoother ride than without
- the air suspension doesn't lower all that much
- a truck bed cover saves you nothing on gas, because the truck is do aerodynamic
- he gets 20mpg in his V8 on the highway to Houston (speed 75mp/h)

Best thing he states that those that buy air ride don;t want any miles on the truck and that is why I can't test drive it.

So I left not very happy, the ride was nice. But the mpg was about 2mpg worse than my 2010 Avalanche.
The power (get-up-and-go) was not any better than my avalanche.
And the mirrors don;t tilit down when you put the truck in reverse.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
Forgott to mention that I also wanted to test drive the new V6, which they did not have as well.
Would like to get a better interest rate (Chrysler offers 1.9% currently) and better MPG.
So I think either V6 or maybe the Diesel...

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the mirrors will tilt when in reverse if:

you have the appropriate trimloption level and you set them up to do so in the set up menu

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
As far as the bed cover not saving you gas mileage, I honestly believe he is right there with an added caveat. Mythbusters actually did an episode on it, but essentially what they discovered using the same truck with the tailgate up, down, off, netted gate, and both soft and hard cover, was that you received the best mpg with the tailgate up and no cover at highway speeds. Reason being is that it created a small air pocket inside the bed that caused air coming up over the cab to slope down the back of the truck, without the tailgate up the air pocket isn't created and the air then slams down into the bed or cover decreasing your mpg. City driving is different though, you can probably youtube the episode or something, they did it a handful of years back.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
I know about that episode, but if that is the case for the RAM why would RAM sell the HFE with cover only?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The main point is the dealer does not want to let you drive then he does not want to sell. Go to a place that will get you options.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ditch that dealership. As for the mpgs, don't go off what you see up in the overhead. A test drive is no where near enough time to check mpgs accurately. And i really have a hard time believing that the get up is the same in your Avalanche unless it has the Vortec Max. I'm not even sure if they offer that motor in an avalanche. I drive different cars and trucks everyday at work. The only trucks i 'feel' would give the new Rams a run for their money are the newer Sierras. Those haul major ass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a hard time believing anything on mythbusters since watching the episode about sugar in the gas tank. Sure, the motors ran but they failed to realize that they have no power as it glazed the cylinder walls and doesnt make compression.

I test drove a new Sierra and Chevy with the 6.2 motors and honestly dont think they are any faster than the Hemi.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
I just did the math and assuming Diesel costs 40cents more than regular gas, the diesel RAM would need to be 2mpg better than my Avalanche to generate savigns for me.
Oh and assuming the V6 uses middle grade gas, it would need to be 1MPG better...

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the math and assuming Diesel costs 40cents more than regular gas, the diesel RAM would need to be 2mpg better than my Avalanche to generate savigns for me.
Oh and assuming the V6 uses middle grade gas, it would need to be 1MPG better...

Go with what you think would make you happiest man. Don't worry so much about 1 or 2 mpgs. You might end up 'settling' just because one might be better economically than the other.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I try not to get too hung up on a couple MPG difference if it means driving what I like.

Here's some hypothetical numbers on gas mileage with a 2 MPG difference:
(Some numbers rounded)

12,000 miles @ 18 mpg = 666.6 gallons of gas @ $3.80 per gallon = $2,533
12,000 Miles @ 16 mpg = 750 gallons of gas @ $3.80 per gallon = $2,850

Based on those numbers 2 extra mpg would save $317 over 12,000 miles. A year of driving for some more or less for others. If it was a year that's about $26 per month.

Not a huge savings for a truck you like to drive.

Ray

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
While I hear what ya'll are saying.
The question is to me if a Diesel would be worth the extra dollars?

If I had all the money in the world I would just get a 3500 with a big Diesel engine...

But I have not yet found that bottomless gold sack..

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I try not to get too hung up on a couple MPG difference if it means driving what I like.

Here's some hypothetical numbers on gas mileage with a 2 MPG difference:
(Some numbers rounded)

12,000 miles @ 18 mpg = 666.6 gallons of gas @ $3.80 per gallon = $2,533
12,000 Miles @ 16 mpg = 750 gallons of gas @ $3.80 per gallon = $2,850

Based on those numbers 2 extra mpg would save $317 over 12,000 miles. A year of driving for some more or less for others. If it was a year that's about $26 per month.

Not a huge savings for a truck you like to drive.

Ray

Except the average person drives 15000 miles a year and over 2 years that's a cruise for 2. All about how you budget and for what.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I hear what ya'll are saying.
The question is to me if a Diesel would be worth the extra dollars?

If I had all the money in the world I would just get a 3500 with a big Diesel engine...

But I have not yet found that bottomless gold sack..

If you think you absolutely need a diesel then go for it bud. But don't do it to save money cuz it won't, unless you're towing a good load quite often. Also, from what I know, the new diesels don't get great mileage unless all the eco crap is yanked. That almost always voids warranties. Someone with more diesel knowledge should chime in soon.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
Except the average person drives 15000 miles a year and over 2 years that's a cruise for 2. All about how you budget and for what.

Good point, at 28mpg a diesel might even save me ~$1k annually.
IF it costs an extra $2k, it pays off after just 2 years,plus the better value retention

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point, at 28mpg a diesel might even save me ~$1k annually.
IF it costs an extra $2k, it pays off after just 2 years,plus the better value retention

Our diesels don't generally see numbers that high. Check out fuelly.com for some real world, user-submitted numbers.

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Our diesels don't generally see numbers that high. Check out fuelly.com for some real world, user-submitted numbers.

Nice find. I hadn't seen fuelly before, great source for info.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd be headed to a new dealership. the thing that flies the red flag is that they don't let you drive a certain model.
Big red flag.

OP
OP
G

Goetterjaeger

Reaction score
Ram Year
-none-
Engine
-none
Yeah, that dealership is not on my list anymore. Especially since I send an e-mail ahead that I would want to drive both back to back.