1st Time Dodge Owner At End of Rope on Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

contendershooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a first time Dodge Ram owner having purchased an 03 Ram 1500 Quad-Cab 4x4 with the Hemi engine... had 81K miles and completely clean carfax..let me describe this issue...

At 40 mph you can feel a shimmy in your seat, but not in the steering or brakes...when you look in the rear view it looks like the bed is hopping in an up and down pattern with somewhat a left to right shimmy from 0-38mph, nothing is felt

Once you past 40MPH the shimmy goes away, then picks up again, but worse at 55mph, peaks at 60mph and starts to go away once you hit 65mph and up... When your running 55-60mph, you can turn your wheel left to right slowly from the 12:00 position to 1:00 and back to 11:00 and feel a hop or shimmy in the steering, but this CANT be felt at the 40MPH mark...

So far outside of purchasing truck in March, I have done the following work:

new Firestone Destination LE2's road forced balanced on factory chrome steel wheels, and the Firestone dealer said the wheels look good, no bad wobble and very little wheel weights were needed to balance tires

new Monroe shocks, all new rotors, all new pads premium from Napa, center shaft replaced in front axle, right side CV shaft replaced as it had about 2" of circular play, and complete alignment.

Mechanic stated the upper and lower control arm bushings are cracked a bit, but there is no play in them to cause this issue

He checked the universal joints on front and rear drive shaft, says they are fine, checked front sway bar/stabilizer bar bushings, said their fine, he said rack and pinion unit is fine, said tie rods and ball joints are fine, so I am at a complete loss where to look. I was on a limited budget when I purchased this truck and had to eat almost an additional 2300 worth of parts, labor and tires.

Weird thing is that original owner said truck was drove from Missouri to Texas 2-3 times a month to visit family and no vibration was felt that she noticed...truck was only at wholesaler for a week before it was purchased at an auction by the dealer I purchased from and brought to Nashville TN.

Would appreciate any help...this is not causing any safety issues that I know of, but it's just aggravating and annoying!!! I have had nothing but GM trucks in the past, with no issues at all, I have always liked the Dodge's and saved up a couple of years after selling my 97 GMC Z-71 regular cab and purchased this Dodge...I am somewhat regretting my decision...

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you test drive it before you bought it?
Was it making the shimmy when you bought it?

OP
OP
C

contendershooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did, but I unfortunately did not test drive it at a higher speed and just drove near the dealership, so I didn't pick it up...

Did you test drive it before you bought it?
Was it making the shimmy when you bought it?

wireboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find a shop nearby that has a vibration analyzer to help diagnose the cause of the vibration. Try your local dealer if you can’t find a small independent shop.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Did the truck act like that before you put new tires? I have seen new tires cause headaches and they were balanced and everything.If that person who told you the rims were nearly true don't believe him unless he is in business for repairing wheels don't believe him.This is what I would do is see if you could get the rims rebalanced by someone else no two balancer are the same also did you do a front end alignment and how much air you are running in those tires.I have seen name brand tires sold as first and have a imperfection in them these are new tires.I hope this helps .

Last edited:

Ram1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a similar issue with mine it was the cv joints and half shafts on both sides way too much play and vibration i pulled the cv joints to test it and problem solved

Smack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the truck act like that before you put new tires? I have seen new tires cause headaches and they were balanced and everything.If that person who told you the rims were nearly true don't believe him unless he is in business for repairing wheels don't believe him.This is what I would do is see if you could get the rims rebalanced by someone else no two balancer are the same also did you do a front end alignment and how much air you are running in those tires.I have seen name brand tires sold as first and have a imperfection in them these are new tires.I hope this helps .

I had the same problem after purchasing new tires, except mine was due to the fact that the ******* who changed my tires was mad that I didn’t buy the more expensive tires, so he put a giant glob of goop in the center inside of each tire on my truck, Causing this very problem. even though the wheels were perfectly balanced on the balancing machine, he unbalanced them by sticking that lump of goop inside each tire.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
nice ride

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Was problem ever resolved? OP hasn't posted for several months.

Jbaker33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I had the same problem after purchasing new tires, except mine was due to the fact that the ******* who changed my tires was mad that I didn’t buy the more expensive tires, so he put a giant glob of goop in the center inside of each tire on my truck, Causing this very problem. even though the wheels were perfectly balanced on the balancing machine, he unbalanced them by sticking that lump of goop inside each tire.

Wow. Hopefully you got that dude fired! I'd be so pissed man