200 amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after my stereo install, my headlights tend to flicker a little bit when the bass hits when I have the stereo cranking. If I upgrade to a bigger alternator, will this harm my truck if I am not running the stereo?? I know very little about electricity and these newer vehicles. Back in the late 90's my mechanic advised me not to run one in my Nissan Altima and due to the fact I was running dual batteries I fried my alternator every year. The flickering I'm experiencing isn't as bad as the headlight dimming I've had in previous vehicles but it's still enough to annoy me.

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for adding the link to my build. I ran a single 12" Kenwood sub off of a punch 360a2 in my last vehicle and my lights dimmed like crazy. A 1 farad cap took care of the problem. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nah, I wouldn't want my lights to dim. I haven't noticed my doing it yet, but I think you've got a good bit more pwr running than me. The thing that's getting on my nerves with mine is I have a little ground loop noise, but turning the stereo up just a little bit you can't hear it anymore. I bet if I went with a new head unit and wasn't running a LOC it might go away too.

With the new alternator you might pick up some noise.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running a Rockford 700/1 for my two 10s and a JL 300/4 for my focals and don't notice any dimming. May just be how one has their amps tuned. Oh and I'm not using a cap

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That XS bat should have you solid and shouldn't need that cap. I would defiently go over grounds to make sure they are solid and really you have to very power hungry subs that are probably giving that amp a workout. Upgraded alt won't hurt UNBROKEN has one in his truck and pretty much talked me into finding one for mine. lol

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I didn't go back through your install thread but if you haven't done the Big3 then do that first.
To answer your question though, no a bigger alternator won't hurt anything.
I run a 250 amp DC Power alternator, XS Power D4800 battery along with the Big3 upgrade and have zero dimming with amps totaling about 2400 watts.
I have no capacitor...they're useless if the rest of the electrical system is lacking to begin with.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i agree the caps are worthless. i had one in my older car and light still dimmed...do the big 3 first and if it doesnt fix it upgrade the alternator.

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well i'm running around 1600 watts RMS and yes i did the Big 3 upgrade right away during the install. My subs can take 1000 watts RMS a piece but am giving them the full 1100 watts (to the pair) that my amp can push so i'm definitely pushing my amp hard. I will definitely give the upgraded alternator a try.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
The best advice anyone ever gave me about car audio...buy more power than you need. The best sounding systems will have tons of headroom. Pushing an amp to it's max is only asking for clipping and distortion.

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The best advice anyone ever gave me about car audio...buy more power than you need. The best sounding systems will have tons of headroom. Pushing an amp to it's max is only asking for clipping and distortion.

I couldn't agree more. When the funds are available I'll be stepping up to the Alpine mrx-m240. 2400W rms at 2 ohms. I know I'll need the alternator for this amp.

joelstad

Reaction score
Is there any danger is upgrading to a larger alternator even if you don't have the need for it yet?

Just curious, thanks.

--Joel

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452