2000 3500 van no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigart14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Van quit while driving and would not restart. Mechanic installed new coil, problem seemed to be solved. A few hundred miles later, van quit while idling. Starter cranks, but engine doesn't fire. Replaced crankshaft sensor, which didn't help. I couldn't hear the fuel pump, so I sprayed starter fluid into the air intake while cranking, but engine didn't fire. Mechanics yesterday tested fuel pressure, which was good, but then tested spark and found none. Good spark from coil to distributor, but no spark from distributor to plug wires. Replaced cap and rotor, but still had spark to distributor but not from distributor to wires. Mechanics at this AAA approved shop are stumped.

Any ideas? I have also tried the key dance, but it showed no codes, and I disconnected negative battery cable for 30 seconds, but it didn't help. Still stumped.

Craig

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Distributor has nothing to do with spark production. Either coil isn't firing much or the plugs he's testing for spark at have bad wires.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you have spark to the distributor but not out of it, ohm check the wires, 8-12k I think, but certainly not above 20k. You'll also want to make sure the wires arent pressed up against any metal, are largely hanging in open air or suspended by plastic, are not touching at all.

OP
OP
C

Craigart14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the next batch of mechanics pulled the coil showed me it was cracked. They said too that it was arcing because a previous mechanic had damaged the connector, probably with a test light. So they put in a new coil. They also put in a new distributor rotor and cap. I drove the van fifty or sixty miles with the engine running ok.

Now I still have my original problems. As soon as I turn the key to ON, the oil pressure gauge and the fuel gauge max out, while the battery gauge remains at zero. If I take my foot off the gas, the engine stalls immediately. Also, if I drive for a while, the gauges eventually return to normal, all three in the same instant and very suddenly. Then later they go haywire again. Sometimes they are normal at start, sometimes they aren't.

Color me confused.

Craig

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Try a cluster self test when its having the issue.

I believe its key off, hold the odometer button, key on while still holding the odometer button, wait until the odometer says test then release the odometer button and watch.