2000 5.2 1500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamBoi320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
Whats up my dudes. After owning my truck for 3 years and fixing numerous mechanical issues with it I've finally decided to start moding my engine. I have had no serious engine or transmission problems to date and I am still really impressed with the way it runs. It now has 164000 miles on it, and the only "mod" I've done is put a drop-in K&N air filter. I could use some insight on the types of things I should be doing to prevent any serious failures and boost the life and performance of my engine.
I intend on replacing the plenum gasket, as the last time I took the oil in for a change it was dangerously low after a normal 3000 mile cycle, with no leaks. I notice a squealing noise at about 2600rpms and up (was told it could be a pulley or belt). When I make first start up of the day the engine has to rev itself up a few times before steadying to idle (which varies between 600-700). I get about 300miles on a full tank.
I could use some opinions on Throttle Body Spacers and if I should be considering changing to a real Cold Air Intake.
The most serious mod I have in mind right now is redoing my exhaust. I already have my Gibson shorties picked out but I am caught between a pure true dual set up or a true dual into an x-pipe. I'm also concerned about which tuner I should buy or if I will even need one at all.
I remodel houses so I do a bit of towing. I also do a great bit of driving around the city back and forth between job sites and distributors. Any advice would be useful to me as I ultimately intend on making this truck a "fast daily."

Peace.

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
sounds like you want to pump up your 318. not enough. I know the feeling.
skip the throttle body spacer. junk a paper weight, doesn't do a darn thing for you!
stroke that engine! put a new good set of heads on it. help it breath in and let it breath out! don't add a bunch of gimmicky crap to it.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That throttle body spacer **** doesn’t do a dam thing for an injection engine, it’s only good for carb’ed or boosted engines. Waste of money!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Even boosted engines they're a joke

Specifically regarding what you've asked about:
Exhaust wise single pipe or duals, either is fine. Single, most see the best performance/drivability out of 3". Duals i wouldn't go over 2.25" free flowing or 2.5" if cats are installed. You'll "feel" more with that than going to say a 3" dual. More than capable of what a stock 318 will make anyways.
Now the x pipe is simply a matter of preference and budget. Running a crossover wont really net you any performance benefit save for maybe 3hp at peak (negligible at best) but the SOUND is what really seals the deal on them. They tend to keep much ofthe cackle you get from straight pipes or aggressive sounding mufflers like flowmaster 10s or bullet mufflers. An h pipe is often easier to work with however it tends to cackle where an x wouldn't.

Tune: SCT by FRP Tuning. Best drivability and most power. Skip the laughable options like superchips/edge/hypertech and other sct vendors like hemifever and Marty

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamBoi320

RamBoi320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
I spoke with a rep from FRP Tuning and I am definitely interested on buying a tune from them. I will also now consider running a crossover like you suggested because I am ultimately aiming for a great sound first a foremost.
I ended up buying a single in dual out Flowmaster super 44 with some 3in tips, mainly because I love the look, and I am impressed with the deep firm sound they provide.
My next move is to put on the Gibson headers and decide which cats I should go with. Im caught between some uni highflows or some direct fit cats. Im not to sure what the pros and cons are.
Would upgrading my fuel pump be a good idea? On the first startup of everyday my engine still has to rev itself up atleast 4 times before steadying to idle. I tried doing some research and from what I read it seems it could be my TPS sensor, MAP sensor, or Idle Air Control valve.
Another strange thing that happened was, the other day on the first startup I decided to rev the engine immediately after it cranked thinking that might help it get to idle quicker and then my engine completely died. I do understand you shouldnt press the gas immidiately after it cranks but I didnt expect it to just die.
Other than those things Id say my truck is doing pretty well in its old age. Any other performance or preventative maintenance ideas are more than welcome my Dudes.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Something else to consider is when you look at how a cold air intake works and then you look at the stock air intake on our trucks they pretty much already have one. They pull air from the fenders where the CIAs do and they pull air down a tube to the throttle body just like a CIA. I doubt our truck's air intake has any impact on the engine performance. Most of what I've read suggests that the heads are trash for making any kind of HP. As for a tune, I can't really speak professionally on that since I'm running a stock motor with stock everything but I don't see it benefiting a stock motor enough to justify dumping a few hundred dollars on one. Maybe once you do as much work to the engine as dapepper9 has though. :D

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
IF you have stock cats magnaflo cats or thunderbolt cats /uni cats/ will give you a fair bump in -flow though- the engine.

OP
OP
RamBoi320

RamBoi320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
As of right now I'm mainly think about getting new cats and new headers.

I am also considering getting a whole new throttle body. But first I am going to attempt cleaning it.