2000 RPM vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly Im not really sure what anyone has checked.

Dealer #2 at least said they put it up on the lift to check and said everything underneath looks OK, nothing out of the ordinary. Checked driveshafts, u-joints, axles, etc. Im almost 100% positive dealer #1 didnt even look at my truck (since I never really lost sight of it after we drove it together and they checked the computer and the lot for another truck)

I hate thinking it could be the transmission, but I really figure I would be having other issues if it really were the transmission. Bad shifting, bad temperatures, inconsistent performance...SOMETHING out of the ordinary but it honestly works perfectly.

Ive read a few posts where people "re positioned" the engine and transmission mounts and it helped at least a little. Loosen the bolt, put the truck in drive, re torque the bolt. There may be something to the idea that the airbox causes an issue too, I might try just disconnecting the main tube from the box itself and driving a bit to see if it changes anything. And even more, I saw a few non-RAM truck posts where people removed their running boards and it "cured" vibrations like this (the running boards turned into tuning forks at certain frequencies).

Its all stuff to try, and its all stuff I understand why the dealer wouldn't try, but for them to acknowledge the vibration, acknowledge that its worse in 4WD, then tell me "sorry its normal" is beyond frustrating.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really sucks.
If it really bothers you, you just get another truck. If it were me I would, even though you would lose out. Why pay for something that is going to make you grind your teeth every time you drive it??
Good luck man.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really sucks.
If it really bothers you, you just get another truck. If it were me I would, even though you would lose out. Why pay for something that is going to make you grind your teeth every time you drive it??
Good luck man.

Im not quite there yet....I dont avoid driving the truck because of it, I just think Im "hyper aware" of it at this point, so I always feel it. it could just be a matter of "just go and drive" and I wont feel it or at least not feel it as much.

I had someone I work with drive the truck today and they definitely felt it, but to them it was very minor and surely not a reason to get rid of the truck.

Im not even sure where I would start to get rid of it...I didnt like the F150 I tested and I dont like the look of the Chevys. have had a Nissan Frontier for the past ~20 years and was sick of working on a "well designed" truck that required being a contortionist to do basic work on.

Nothing on drive shaft?
18riqhmpjuu47jpg.jpg

lol not quite! Been under the truck a few times, nothing looks out of the ordinary (but Im not a service tech so what do I know ;) )

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You will need another person to help & a lift to get underneath, recreate vibration at 2k rpm in park off course and check in same spot underneath you felt inside floorboard. If you can feel move to the transmission pan to see if it feels any stronger or the same or not at all, then try the same with engine oil pan & bell housing. Probably going to need a glove if hot.

If you don't have access to a lift, ask dealer tech to check this way.

Guess you could avoid lift & crawl under if ya had to.
Mine is lifted 4-inches so I can scoot around with a creeper.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not quite there yet....I dont avoid driving the truck because of it, I just think Im "hyper aware" of it at this point, so I always feel it. it could just be a matter of "just go and drive" and I wont feel it or at least not feel it as much.

I had someone I work with drive the truck today and they definitely felt it, but to them it was very minor and surely not a reason to get rid of the truck.

Im not even sure where I would start to get rid of it...I didnt like the F150 I tested and I dont like the look of the Chevys. have had a Nissan Frontier for the past ~20 years and was sick of working on a "well designed" truck that required being a contortionist to do basic work on.
I'm starting to think maybe it's the u bolt on the driveshaft? I've read stories online of the Chevy and GMC trucks having this issue in the past.
They've replaced this and it worked for them. (Found this out by reading the TSB and recall threads on the Chevy truck and GMC truck forums using a Google search.) Good luck man!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I'm starting to think maybe it's the u bolt on the driveshaft? I've read stories online of the Chevy and GMC trucks having this issue in the past.
They've replaced this and it worked for them. (Found this out by reading the TSB and recall threads on the Chevy truck and GMC truck forums using a Google search.) Good luck man!
He said it happens in park & neutral so that would rule out anything past transmission.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He said it happens in park & neutral so that would rule out anything past transmission.

Yes, but its noticeably lessened in park or neutral. Its there, but it feels much more faint than when in drive.

It COULD be a resonance thing while in gear as well, but its much more noticeable AND it gets worse in 4 Auto.

I know a few on the forum have mentioned some of it comes how the engine and diff are mounted to the same bracket, both without any damping other than the rubber engine mount. The fact it gets worse in 4-Auto could indicate that it really is resonance coming through that mounting. Or it could indicate something like an axle vibration, wheel bearing (although no noise or howling is evident), etc.

I also read to try loosening the bolts holding the engine into the mounts, put the truck in gear then tighten the bolts. I assume the idea is that it shifts the engine in the mount possibly to a more natural position that would cause less vibration. It could even cause more, but I think if I feel it get better or worse after doing that, it might indicate the issue is vibration from the mounting(s).

Im not getting much actual help from a dealer, so I might try those basic things and a couple more (removing the running boards since they mount right to the rocker panels, disconnecting the tube from the engine to the intake box and driving a bit to see if it changes, etc).

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A while back when I was reading up about this truck I read about an MDS vibration at low rpms. Is this what youre describing? It was deemed "normal" from what I read.

You can force deactivation of MDS by hitting the tow/haul button to confirm.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FYI, my truck is smooth. No noticeable vibration at 2000 rpm or any engine speed so your issue is not present in all Rams.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A while back when I was reading up about this truck I read about an MDS vibration at low rpms. Is this what youre describing? It was deemed "normal" from what I read.
You can force deactivation of MDS by hitting the tow/haul button to confirm.
No, that is different than what OP is posting about.
I know the MDS vibration/noise you are referring to. I ABSOLUTELY HATE it and I disable it once in a while. (I wish Ram trucks didn't have that MDS feature honestly.)

Robert V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same issue in my 2017 Tradesman 5.7. I've been to the dealer they say it's a characteristic of this truck. I don't think so. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the exact same issue in my 2017 Tradesman 5.7. I've been to the dealer they say it's a characteristic of this truck. I don't think so. Any thoughts?

As much as it pains me to say it (Im the OP in this case), I have to tend to agree with them.

I have not found a 4th gen 2017 or even 2018 that DOESNT do this. I "blind tested" (acted interested in the truck instead of giving them the chance to find "just the right one") a 2018 with 6 miles on it from a nearby dealer and it did it right off the lot.

On one hand Im surprised there arent more people complaining about it, but on the other hand I wonder if Im just more sensitive to it than other people. I feel something similar in my wifes car that she swears she still cant feel.

I think it comes down to how the axle, engine and diff mount to the same bracket and then to the frame. Natural vibrations from something (Im guessing the engine) are getting transferred to the frame and subsequently into the firewall, cabin, etc. The whole "high strength steel" thing doesnt help either....higher strength and lower weight, yes, but its thinner which means its more apt to vibrate instead of absorb.

I have a couple things I wanted to try but the weather hasnt really cooperated.

One is to "realign" the engine and trans mounts but loosening them, cycling the truck through gears, then re-tightening them.

I also want to check the torque on all of the fasteners for stuff in the front end (including the steering rack, etc).

And finally I wanted to try loosening the exhaust clamps and start and rev the engine to see if I can get the exhaust to "rest" in a different spot.

Searching various forums (not just RAM related), people have tried those things with varying success on other vehicles that exhibited similar symptoms.

What gets me is that some days its right in your face but others its barely noticeable.

Robert V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks thanks for your reply . My truck has less than a thousand miles on and it did do it right off of the lot..