2001 Dodge ram 1500 offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least thats what the tailgate says.lol. It has the 3 inch blocks on the back. It has a what looks like a plastic skid plate under the gas tank. On the side it says larmaie slt. 5.9 4;10 gears. So with that being said. I would like to know what size shocks to get for the back and front. I bought some monroes but the ones on there are a good bit bigger. I think they are the original ones that came on it. Do I need ones that will handle a 3 inch lift. I dont do alot of off roading,but i do alot of hunting. Probably 40% around pastures and old fields and some old ruted out roads through the woods. and 60% highway. So which shocks would you guys recommend? And does it sound like the off road truck or was it just made to look like one. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Offroad Editions added:

4.10 gears and rear LSD
HD tow package
1.5" lift from coil springs with higher spring rate and additional rear leaf
17x8 aluminum wheels and 275/70R17 tires
Extra skid plates
Trussing on front Dana 44 axle
Larger diameter nitrogen shocks
Badge on tailgate

The rear 3" block is stock on all 4x4 1500s. I know for a fact ORE rear shocks are identical lengths to non-ORE trucks. I'm assuming front is the same way as well. I'd look for shocks made for 0-2.5" or whatever. Bilstein 5100s are great "bang for your buck" and what most on here will recommend. Part #s are FRONT: 24-185776 & REAR: 24-185783

OP
OP
T

timmm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that reply. I was looking at the pro comp 0 to 3 inch lift. But Ill also check out those bils to. Im gonna go with it is a off road.

OP
OP
T

timmm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
shocks

Went with the bilstein shocks. Do you have to takethe springs out on the front to getthe shock out ? Seen videos of people doing both. Is it a hard job to change the front?

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't have to pull the springs, just unbolt shock tower at the top and the single bolt at the bottom of the shock, then lift the shock out. You will want to put the truck on jack stands and let the front axle droop as far as it will go, but that's for reassembly. Monotube shocks like Bilstein are a pain in the butt to get to compress, all the while trying to hold down the shock tower and get the 3 nuts started make it a fun project for those who haven't done them. Letting the axle droop will require little to no compression on the shock in order to bolt it back down. When reassembling, ALWAYS do the bottom bolt first.

OP
OP
T

timmm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge

Thanks for the help. Your right about compressing them. The back ones were about two inches longer than stock. The boots are compressed pretty good. Gonna tackle the front pretty soon.