2002 power loss on hills quesrion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Volsfan4life252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
First post and I'm new to the forum. My name is Ryan and I live in Huntsville, AL. I got a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the 4.7L V8 last week. Ive been driving it around town and on the interstate for short trips all week and it's done great but yesterday, I drove it about 1.5 hrs without turning the engine off. When i was almost home, I tried to go over a small hill and had a ton of power lost. So much, that I was concerned that I wouldn't make it over the hill. It happened again on the last hill before my house. During acceleration, I had tons of vibration and it seemed like I wasn't getting enough gas. I got home and turned the truck off, letting it sit overnight. This morning, I made it to work fine going over hills and everything. No problems whatsoever. I have no check engine lights on, The temp gauge read normal and oil pressure gauge was slightly below halfway (its been this way since i got it). The truck cranks and idles fine. I can even rev it high in park and it sounds good. I'm stumped......

I thought maybe it was the CAT but I called an exhaust shop and they said if it was, I would have issues all the time, not just after long trips.

I think I'll change the plugs this weekend just because but I feel like if it were the plugs, I'd get a CEL and I would notice it in an idle, not just after a long trip...

Any advice is appreciated. This is my daily driver now so I'm hoping I didn't get a lemon

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry man, I don't have any advice, but I'll give you a bump so someone else may see this! Good luck.

Darrell85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be your fuel tank has trash in it, or the fuel pump is getting hot and loosing pressure.
that is why on short trips you do not have any problems but on long hauls you do.
also have you tried fuel injector cleaner
Sea Foam is what I use
once a month, because I drive truck 90 miles a day for work
this keeps it running good